Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Here is my dilemma,

I had the iphone 3GS and used it as a business phone when my company changed over to MS Exchange. Worked perfectly and I loved the phone. The problem was with push on I would barely get 6 hours before I needed a charge, I gave the phone to my son and bought a Blackberry Bold 9700. The battery life on that is unreal. At the end of a full day heavy use I still have 30-40% power.

I miss the iphone and now want to sell my 9700 and go back to an iphone4 for business/pleasure. Here is my million dollar question. Will the iphone 4 last a full day on a charge after broken in? Once I sell the 9700 and get the iphone 4 there is no turning back. Please advise truthfully. Are there any sales reps out there with the new iphone 4?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie C

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
I can't promise anything specific because there are so many variables (not the least of which is the frequency of emails being pushed), but the battery is said to be 40% larger than before. So far I'm seeing improved battery life -- enough to correlate to 40% larger battery.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Sarah

GFSarah,

Do you have business emails being pushed? Do you last a full day on overnight charge?

Thanks
Charlie

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Of course the battery life deeply depends on your usage, but assuming you'd do a typical BB use (lots of email, text, some web browsing), you'll have no problem and probably you can go a couple days without a charge.

Again, it's very subjective and I don't know how you'll use your phone, but iPhone 4 battery life is noticeably better than older iPhones and a LOT better than Android phone (Nexus One in my case). My last BB was the original Pearl. It's too long ago I don't remember the battery life on it.

Just as a reference point, I could get full day of use no problem with playing podcasts (including video) and music streamed via 3G and Wifi and to Bluetooth wireless headset, some phone calls (also via BT), some texting, 4 email addresses with 2 push (mobileme, exchange) and 2 fetching with 30 min interbal on a weekday.

I can't ask more.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
My 3GS lasted about 12 hours with Exchange push, Bluetooth (on all the time), and perhaps 30 minutes of calls, along with dozens of texts each day. I'd like to know what sort of signal you got or whatever else was going on to have your battery die in half that time.

In any case, the 4 should be better for you, definitely.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I don't have trouble with battery life on my 3G with Exchange set to "Push"... actually it works really well for both my email and calendar. Actually since I set it up, I haven't had any battery life issues to motivate me to try turning it off (i.e. If I start the day with a full charge, I have no trouble making it through the day, even with heavy usage).

It was a long time ago on my 2G with the 1.x software, but I remember having lots of trouble with battery life and having to turn off auto-fetch on my POP3 and IMAP accounts. I haven't tried auto-fetch since.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
ok

So I am safe to assume that the IP4 will last a full day?
I am in sales and traveling so in my car I am in and out of 3G service.

Charlie

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
yeah, youll see a huge difference. This ip4 is amazing. I used mine for approx 30 hours with pretty heavy usage. i charged it for the first time this morning around 11 oclock and i still have 90% right now(10hrs later)!!! granted i've used it much less than yesterday, but its worth noting.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Like others have said, your mileage may vary. But for what it's worth, I've noticed a considerable improvement in battery life (over my 3GS). Nothing groundbreaking, but I'm happy with it.

coz

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
Same here. I've been using it more than usual since it's new and getting 35+ hours per charge roughly. About 5x my old 3G which was a little beat! I'm psyched!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Charlie

Ad mentioned there are a lot of things you can do to reduce the draw on the battery, but to be sure I bought the wife a 12 V charger for the car. There are also cases that contain a battery for extended use.

Personally, I don't use bluetooth so it is always turned off. If I'm not using wifi I turn it off. If I'm not going to use data I'll turn off 3G. With all that said, if I don't turn anything off I get at least a full day with normal use.

detroit1

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

Charlie

i dont have the phone yet but if for some reason it didnt last you could always get a car charger

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
ordered

I'm convinced!
Just placed order from Apple Store due by July 14! I can't wait!
Any chance I will get it earlier? It says will ship by July 14?

Charlie C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.