iPhone 4 performance slowing down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Hey everyone, the past couple of days I've been noticing my 4s performance slowing down. The problems I've been noticing are as follows

Startup is slower than usual

3G connection sometimes doesn't work, it always says 3G if I'm using it but loading web pages is intermittent

Sometimes YouTube video sound doesn't work (you can hear something but it's extremely faint and indisinct) again this is intermittent and iPod and video playback is fine

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I know there have been other instances.

I was thinking of putting all my files on my gf's Mac and doing a restore...

iOS 4.1 and week 39 if that makes any difference.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This may be good but have you tried a hard reset yet? It's the one where you hold both Sleep/Home buttons and when you get the 'Slide to Power Off' slider you ignore that and KEEP holding the buttons until the phone totally resets and you get the Apple logo.

This is a more complete re-set than using that 'Slide to Power off' button will give you.

3. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't aware of this. I'm an iPhone newb. Will I lose all my data such as phone numbers, my camera roll, apps etc?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, this just resets the phone as if you'd turned a computer off and then on again.

When you use the normal 'power off' slider that's really more like putting it to sleep than turning it off. It's a deeper sleep than the normal 'sleep' mode, but there are some things that don't get reset when you do it that way.

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

While this might fix the issue, pls keep in mind that a hard reset is really a bad thing. It's basically like pulling the plug on a Windows or OS X machine - open files and are not closed in a controlled way but are rather killed with a giant sledge hammer - this is likely to leave tracks all over the place. Tracks that, eventually, may confuse the OS and lead to even greater problems

My advice, if this keeps on annoying you is, to Restore and start all over again.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good advise. A Genius told me to close all my recently used apps and turn off the phone normally (not a reset) nightly. Overkill, but I haven't had a performance issue since.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Turn off the phone nightly? What the heck is that supposed to do? I thought the iPhone was perfect and managed memory and backgrounded/suspended apps perfectly. I hate Apple geniuses sometime.

My friend and I went to the Apple store because his MBP battery was swelling. It was so swollen that it literally launched out of the case when it was unlocked from the case. The genius response "This is normal for batteries to swell, but we will replace it anyway." A few feet away another genius told a guy not to turn on home directory encryption because it was "military grade encryption and not needed for most people." Who was he to judge whether or not that guy needed encryption. Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple products (Macbook, iMacs, iPhone, Mac Minis), but the elitist "Our stuff doesn't break/insert your own smelly metaphor" attitude drives me nuts.

8. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

How do you "close" apps? I know of hitting the - thing in the multitasking bar, but I heard that this doesn't close them as they aren't actually open, it's just a shortcut to the app because you've used it recently?

9. g35 macrumors 6502a

It does close them. Try this for proof. Play a song in iPod (or any app- Safari, Downloads, VLC, etc), press home button once, then close it with the -. It stops playing. Or, open NYTimes, press home button, then close it with -. It reboots the app from the start when you next open it instead of multitasking.

10. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Well I tried this. Not sure if I'm imagining it but it seems to be performing ok.

11. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

I'm experiencing some slowness in my iPod app. Once I launch it, it took a good 5 seconds for the actual the songs to appear. Needless to say, I was very dissappointed.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm confused. My phone is jailbroken with a memory-extensive theme. It's been running perfectly. I'll admit though, I do a full restore setting it up as a new phone and than manually adding back data every few months.