iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JStyles21, Jul 3, 2011.

1. JStyles21 macrumors newbie

I recently downloaded the new 4.3.3 update, and can't seem to figure out personal hotspot. I understand that my connection creates a wi-fi connection for other devices, but where does the wi-fi come from? Does it just create wi-fi from my basic internet? With personal hotspot turned on, could I use apps such as FaceTime even if I'm not in a wi-fi zone?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

in red.

3. JStyles21 thread starter macrumors newbie

It makes no sense that my phone can generate wi-fi for other devices around me, yet I can't access it on my own.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When you activate Personal HotSpot, your iPhone will become a like a router and send out a WiFi signal for other devices to use (like an iPod touch or iPad) using your Phones 3G signal, once Personal HotSpot is activated and others are using it, you can still continue to browse the internet on your device.

In this case, why would you want to log into your own WiFi?

Not only why would you, But how could you? The WiFi chip can only do one thing at a time (input signal/Output Signal).

5. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

LOL.

A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....A never ending loop....

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Are you kidding me? I've clicked on 3 threads today and they have all been stupid, GHAJGKFSAFKJASJKFSJKAFJK. /Rant

Your phone broadcasts a "wifi router signal" and other devices connect to it and the internet backhaul portion is your cellular data connection. Imagine a wireless router except the modem portion is cellular instead of a cable. /Thread.