iPhone 4 'Phone.app' freezes on "calling contact..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shibby2407, Feb 2, 2012.

1. shibby2407 macrumors newbie

Oright?

Hoping someone's had this problem before as I can't find a relevant thread.

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 has been on the blink lately. it won't receive or send text messages (it will send/receive iMessages via wi-fi) and it won't dial out or receive calls properly.

To clarify, when I call her I get orange answer phone and nothing on her phone. When she calls me she gets stuck on the 'calling contact...' screen (as pictured) with no dial tone, while on my end, I get a regular phone call but when I pick up there's no sound.

This phone IS NOT jailbroken, it's got nothing to do with Orange as the sim works in other phones and yes I have restored and reset all settings a number of times.

If anyone has a solution I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. aaurel1an macrumors newbie

Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem, on another network, called COSMOTE, in Romania.

I have jailbroken my Iphone, i thought is because of that, but seems it isn't, considering your situation.

This happened to me once again 2-3 days ago and i fixed it by simply removing and reinserting the sim card.

Now this does not work anymore.

Any idea how to fix this?

3. aaurel1an macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I fixed it this way:

- go to airplane mode
    - deactivate/reactivate or reactivate cellular DATA
    - deactivate airplane mode

Seems it does have something to do with cellular data. If it's deactivated it freezez the phone randomly.

4. shibby2407 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed it by restoring settings to a date before the problem had occurred. If you don't have a back-up of before the problem occurred then you can restore to someone else's back up either on their laptop or via iCloud using their apple ID.

5. Aimeeandwillow macrumors newbie

Had the same problem...

I have experienced the same problem 3 times now. They gave me a new phone and it happened again so I'm now waiting to get another one tomorrow. I phoned AppleCare they said my phone had been deactivated? I ended up speaking to the manager who was very polite and sorted the problem within minutes. Finally getting somewhere with them.

6. Epoisses macrumors newbie

Bump

Hi there!

I had a similar issue with my iphone 4 a few weeks after I upgraded to 7.1.2. When calling a contact, I would, if lucky, manage to get through to the person, but after 20 seconds or so, I would hear a weird sound, a bit like someone tearing fabric, the screen would freeze with the speaker icon being highlighted, and I would have to hard reset the phone to access my data again.
    It's worth noting than no other functionality was affected: I could still receive emails, use twitter, take photos and so on.

After 2 factory resets, I reinstalled the backup dating from the day of the crash, to no avail as the problem was still occurring, so I started scouring the forums to see if anybody experienced the same problems, and after trying a few different solutions ranging from a hard reset to more factory settings resets, I finally managed to get rid of the problem.

Here's what worked for me:

1) restored an older backup from before the 1st crash (mine was about 6 month-old)
    2) disabled bluetooth
    3) switched on-off airplane mode a few times
    4)switched on-off the 3 tabs under the topic "mobile" in settings (mobile data, enable 3g and data roaming - For some reason, I think this did the trick)
    5) reset all the settings.

The phone is now back to its good old self, and should this happen to you, I hope this method will help you out.

Best,

E.