iPhone 4 plays AppleTV encoded videos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the-oz-man, Jun 24, 2010.

1. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I've been waiting to test this out for months now to see if this upgraded phone could pull the ultimate for my particular home theater setup. I use handbrake to encode my DVD and Blu-ray collection and since I'm not big on watching things on the go and would much rather have a great picture and 5.1 audio, I use the AppleTV preset and not the universal. Before neither the 3G or 3GS would play this format, but to my extreme happiness the iPhone 4 comes through with brilliant playback. This means that I don't have to bother with two different files again! I tested my most recent encodes and they are perfect. Anyone else to test this out?

2. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Not that it matters much at this point, but I have been able to play my "apple TV" encoded movies on my 3GS with no issues.

However, I haven't tried a blu-ray rip yet, only DVD.

3. davekarn macrumors 6502

Hmmm only my digital copies from purchased BluRay movies transferred over, none of my others. Are you using the legacy setting?

4. the-oz-man thread starter macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Handbrake's AppleTV setting. No tweaks at all.

5. davekarn macrumors 6502

Oh ok...I was just curious because I always use the AppleTV Legacy preset now as opposed to the preset up top under the "Apple" tab. Wondering if there was a difference between the two in terms of encoding and compatibility

6. davekarn macrumors 6502

Do you mind telling me which AppleTV preset you use? I'd like to make changes if need be...because they also don't work on my iPad. Thanks for the help.

7. the-oz-man thread starter macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I use the standard Handbrake AppleTV settings. Oh if it helps, I use the mac program instead of the windows one. I had all kinds of problems before I switched! :rolleyes:

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I found out when I got my iPad that none of my HandBrake 0.9.2 files from 2008 worked on it, though they all sync to my Apple TV, so I started the process of re-encoding them all with the Apple TV preset in 0.9.4 and they work great. I tested one out last night to find out they also work on the iPhone 4, which I expected because the video tech specs are the same as the iPad - h.264 Main Level 3.

9. the-oz-man thread starter macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I suspected this, but wasn't that hopeful to tell the truth. But I couldn't be more happy to know that I don't have to do anything to my current library to have them portable now. This might be the best iPhone 4 feature for me! (all other cool features aside).

10. davekarn macrumors 6502

Guess I'll need to stop using the Legacy preset it sounds like. Thanks for the info!