iPhone 4 possibly bricked after ios5 JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by steezy1337, Jun 26, 2011.

1. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i recently jailbroke my phone on the iOS5 beta 1 with the tethered JB which had been running fine until today when it ran out of juice overnight. i tethered it to my iMac to boot tethered but it's somehow managed to get stuck there and now is pretty much useless. i've tried restoring from both recovery mode and DFU mode with 5,0 beta 1, 4.3.3 and 4.3.1 and all have come up with similar messages with a code of (1) or (6). i tried looking for my SHSH blobs in tiny umbrella but when my iphone shows up in the connected devices it comes up as an unknown device with no saved blobs.

i know i'm stupid for using a tethered JB on beta software on my primary phone but what's done is done, does anyone have any suggestions on how i can resolve this?

2. littlecloud92 macrumors newbie

Remove the back panel, disconnect the battery for ~2 min, then re-insert the battery, connect the dock cable, do the DFU sequence and restore to stock 4.3.3.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’m curious as to why people continue to do this.

4. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally it's because i'm impatient. The beta has been working well enough for me to use daily, it's only since i added the tethered JB into the mix that things started going downhill

cheers mate i'll give this a go in a second :)

5. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

I had a similar situation when I went from the first iOS 5 beta back to 4.3.3. To get it to work, I had to downgrade my iTunes back to 10.3.1 (major pita in my case) for the phone to restore properly. Once I downgraded iTunes, I was able to restore normally after commenting out the gs.apple.com address in the etc/hosts file via Terminal.

edit: Just know, your phone isn't bricked. It just might take some e-muscle to get it back in proper working order. :)

6. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for that, as long as i know it's fixable i'm happy enough, guess i'm not sleeping tonight :p

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

8. littlecloud92 macrumors newbie

I downgraded my guinea-pig phone from iOS5b2 to stock 4.3.3 using iTunes 10.5 b2 with no issue. It was like iOS5b2 was never there in the first place! No errors at all!

Also, go to Terminal and run ping gs.apple.com. Does it reply (IP address must match)

PING gs.apple.com.akadns.net (17.112.176.11): 56 data bytes

or does it reply with an IP starting with 74.x.x.x?

9. steezy1337, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the text i get in Terminal:

imac:~ Nathan$ ping gs.apple.com.akadns.net
    PING gs.apple.com.akadns.net (17.151.36.30): 56 data bytes

EDIT: just tried restoring to stock 4.3.3 in iTunes 10.3.1 in pwndfu mode on redsnow and still get the same error message (1). i've also commented out the gs.apple.com sections in the hosts file through terminal, should i uncomment them?