iPhone 4 Pre-Order Cancelled - Resolution Stories

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by punchwalk, Jun 23, 2010.

1. punchwalk macrumors regular

I created this thread so that people who had their iPhone orders cancelled can share stories of how they resolved their situations for the benefit of people who are still wondering what to do.

My Story:

I tried to place a pre-order for a 16GB iPhone 4 on 6/15. I started off by trying to order through AT&T's website for a while before giving up and focused instead on ordering through Apple's website. My Apple order went through at about 6:00 PM (EST) and I got the confirmation email later that night. I was both relieved and excited.

What I didn't know was that one of my attempts at AT&T actually went through, even though all I saw while trying to order from them were various error screens all indicating that my request couldn't be processed. Early on 6/17, I got an email from AT&T confirming my phantom order. Not knowing what else to do, I called and cancelled that order. I was concerned, but figured I'd done all I could do.

A day or two later, the news started breaking of orders being cancelled by AT&T and Apple. I started to feel very uneasy. Surely enough, I got an email from Apple at 5:00 AM on 6/22 saying my order was cancelled. I was despondent.

After a brief cooling off period, I decided I would just arrive at my local Apple Store early and hope for the best. It occurred to me that I should call AT&T and make sure that my eligibility date was reset so that I wouldn't find myself in another predicament when I attempted to purchase my new iPhone. They told me that it takes up to 72 hours for the cancellation in Apple's system to propagate into their system after which the eligibility would be properly reset. This was frustrating news.

Next, I called Apple Store support to see if I could expedite the process of getting my cancellation across the wire to AT&T. I was unable to get through on 6/22 because of excessive hold times. I tried again at 8:00 EST (when the Apple Store support line opens) on 6/23 and got through to a representative after about 5-10 minutes. I explained the situation. The man at Apple called AT&T and orchestrated the cancellation process through an AT&T supervisor. After another 10-15 minutes or so of holding, my eligibility was reset. I was in a better mood already. The Apple rep then said he could place a new order and coordinate with Apple's order fulfillment department to advance me through the queue of orders to compensate for my failed pre-order. Since I don't NEED to have the phone on release day (even though that was my original plan), I agreed to his proposal. He wasn't able to specify a precise delivery date, but it sounds like I'll be getting my phone no later than July 2nd. The Apple rep told me to keep an eye on my order status page and that the date of delivery should change once he's finished negotiating with the order fulfillment department.

So, it's not what I hoped for, but it's a solution I can accept after what I've been through trying to get an iPhone 4.

I'll update this post when I receive a more precise picture of when my iPhone will ship/arrive.

What's your story?

2. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

I should also add that I received the "Terms and Conditions" action item shortly after my confirmation email which I promptly completed.

And for anyone who's following, my shipping date still currently reads July 14th. This is contrary to the Apple rep's assurances that he'd get my shipment expedited. I knew I wouldn't get a phone tomorrow or even by this weekend under the circumstances, but I'm hoping that he wasn't insincere about his claim just to get me off his back.

I'll be calling Apple Store support again to raise a bit of hell if my shipping date hasn't been adjusted by Friday night/Saturday morning.

Has anyone else been successful in getting a cancelled order reinstated?

3. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

Still no movement on my order. Beginning to feel somewhat confident that the rep hasn't expedited the process as he said he would.

I only have a temporary authorization on my credit card, so the purchase hasn't even gone completely through yet. My AT&T eligibility doesn't reflect a new equipment purchase yet either.

I was going to wait until Saturday originally to make a call, but I'm considering doing it tomorrow morning instead unless, by some miracle, there's some signs of progress on my order by then.

I know I must seem terribly impatient, but that's mostly because I sold my iPhone 3G on eBay with a commitment to ship it this morning (which I just did) and I don't like the thought of being entirely without a phone for as long as 3+ weeks (I don't have a land line).

4. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

48 hours later and nothing has changed. No finalized credit card charge, no updated eligibility status, and no change to delivery date on my order status page. I have about 20 minutes to decide whether I want to call Apple Store support and investigate the matter today or wait until tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding Apple in contempt for this, but I can certainly see how my issue could've been quickly lost in the release day shuffle.

Alternatively, I've considered just canceling my order and going with another option. I'm a lefty and the signal attenuation issues have me a little nervous. I'm also wondering if waiting for next year's phone might yield a 4G reward.

5. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

I called Apple a couple of hours ago. It sounds like the first rep's pledge to expedite my order was probably an empty one. The rep I spoke to today tried to reassure me with the news that orders generally are shipping substantially ahead of schedule (as evidenced by surfacing reports of orders from the 7/2 batch shipping today), but that she still couldn't guarantee me a bottom line shipping date of anything sooner than 7/14.

6. pheller macrumors newbie

I successfully ordered on 6/15 around 10pm EDT.

Around 12pm EDT on Saturday, 6/19, I noticed the phone said "cancelled".

I couldn't be bothered to hold on the phone for more that 15 minutes, so I abandoned resolution at the time. I received the dreaded "cancelled" email at 8pm.

However, I had already figured out what happened.

I logged into AT&T's website to find that my bill was past due, though erroneously. I have automatic credit card billing. During a bachelor party the week prior (that was all to reminiscent of the "Hangover", I might add), I lost the card which was enrolled with AT&T for auto billing.

AT&T routinely charges my card 3 business days before the bill is due. When that charge failed on the 18th, they marked me as past due, even though the bill wasn't actually due until the 22nd.

Anyhow, fired off some emails to @apple.com addresses. Got a response from some people at the online store asking me to reorder, then forward both order numbers.

The new order showed an expected delivery date of July 15th - 19th. I forwarded both order numbers as requested, to which they replied they would expedite as best they could.

New iPhone 4 received on Friday June 25th :)

Apple made things right.

--phil

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I was able to place a pre-order with AT&T around 5pm on the 15th. I never received a confirmation (I did get it 24 hours later).

So I placed a pre-order from Apple store at around 8p (added to cart) and finalized around 9p. Both my order and my confirmation email stated delivery on the 24.

On Thursday, the 17th I canceled my AT&T order.

On Saturday, the 19th Apple canceled my Apple order. Obviously my AT&T order screwed it up somehow. Perhaps it was flagged because I canceled the AT&T order.

I called an AppleCare rep Saturday morning and was told that I had failed to sign the AT&T agreement email that I never received. I called a second time a few hours later and was told it was an 'internal error' and they couldn't get any more specific than that. The rep got me on the phone with the local Apple store and I left my name and # for a reservation, or so I thought.

On Monday, the 21st, I went into the Apple store to check my reservation. I was told that I was on the 'paper list' of people whose pre-orders had been canceled. Corporate hadn't told them what they were going to do yet, but I would be called hopefully before Thursday and informed.

Hearing nothing, I went back to the store on Wednesday, the 23rd, I was unable to to verify that I was ever placed on any list. However, after much back and forth I was put on a new (hand written) paper list after I showed the Apple store guy my canceled Apple order (from the 15th). I was told that I would be standing in the Reservation line, but to bring print-outs of my emails/order confirmations.

On launch day I found they guy with the (hand written) paper list and I showed him my canceled order print-out and he highlighed me. When I got to the head of the line, I was again questioned. I said I was on the paper list, but I had to specify that it was the hand-written paper list, because the paper list they had was the print out of online reservation list. I ended up showing the woman my canceled order with my photo ID. Same problem again. When I got to the back of the store, they couldn't find my reservation I didn't have. So the paper was tracked down after some back and forth and I was given one of the non-reservation phones.

Maybe luckily for me, my Apple store rep was the same guy that helped me initially with the paper list thing the previous day so that was good.

I got my phone about a half hour after the store opened. I stood in line 2 hours before the store opened - all in all not too bad. Lesson learned tho, in the future I'll just reserve and go stand in line.

8. shagthedrummer macrumors newbie

shagthedrummer

I ordered 2 phones from Apple on 6/15..... One at a 2 year price and one at full pop. Got the canceled email on Saturday and of course they canceled the $199 phone. Called them on Sunday to yell at them I was told my order was canceled because I ordered 2 and Apple just made up a rule that no more than 1 per AT&T account. What a liar. Got an email on Tuesday from Apple saying my order was canceled cause there was a problem with my AT&T account. I called AT&T and they said there was no problem and they put me on a 3 way call with an Apple rep. The Apple rep said sorry and go ahead and re-order and I would get the phone in July. Lame! I asked to speak with a Manager, but they were too busy getting yelled at by other people so I left a message. Got a call back on Wednesday and after telling them if there was a "problem" with my AT&T account why did only one phone get canceled. She said that was a good point and I got a free white bumper out of the deal.

SoThursday Fed-Ex delivered the one phone, and my only saving grace was me going on a hunch and reserving a phone on 6/15 for local pick up at Apple. Showed up at 5:30 pm and I was the only one in line. Was in and out in 30 min.

So got both phones on launch day, and a free bumper for my troubles. Yeah!

9. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

pheller - Glad to hear you got your situation resolved. Could you PM me (or post in this thread) the email addresses? I'm not getting anywhere with the phone route. Thanks!

10. irish1313 macrumors member

Long story short. Pre ordered at ATT store on 15th. I was told I was # 4. Went in on 16th because of no confirm email. They had a huge stack already manually processed, mine was 4th from the bottom as they inverted the stack when entering.
    Went to BB, received 1 of the 2 I ordered ( out of 32's). Went back to ATT store,they promised me the first phone off the truck. The 25 yr old manager was very arrogant and condesending and told me " I can cancel your account if you hate ATT so much"!
    I went *******, called district manager. She gave me $100 credit and apologized profusely. Not getting my phone till Tuesday. She is driving up to ensure I get one, and that the manager doesn't make me feel like a 10 year old kid that broke the cookie jar.

11. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

Still no update. I tried sending an email midday yesterday to the "applestoreinfo" address with which some people have had success. No reply yet. I hear it's a crap-shoot anyways.

12. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

I got a response from applestoreinfo. Apparently they're not going to expedite my order after all. My natural response is to be somewhat pi$$ed but I know that won't do me any good at this point. This whole experience has been dreadful and left me with serious questions about where my future product loyalties will lie.

So my order may take up to July 19th to arrive. If I don't decide to cancel it.

13. punchwalk thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to cancel my iPhone 4 order this morning. There's a high probability that I'll get one eventually, but I'd like to wait and see how the drama of the signal issue (and other smaller issues) plays out. Right now I don't have enough confidence in the device to make a 2 year commitment.

I'm also interested in seeing if there's any truth to the recent reports about iPhone coming to Verizon, though that won't factor into any decisions I make until it's officially confirmed.

14. iceberg716 macrumors newbie

My cancellation story is here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10246714&postcount=512

After this, I called apple and they couldn't figure out why it was canceled. They said that a supervisor would call back in 24 hours. Well 24 hours went by and nobody called. I called the next day and they said it's 24-48 hours, and they told me to wait another day. So, I waited and no call. I called the next day and a nice lady helped me and said that there was nothing she could do about the canceled order, but that she would replace it and I was to send an email to the applestoreinfo place with the old order number and the new order number so that they could expedite the shipment. Still kinda irked that they couldn't figure out why it was canceled, but was okay with the result.

Next day I got an email saying that they couldn't expedite it because it wasn't apple's fault that it was canceled. What a bunch of crap! Why did they tell me to send an email to them??????????? All this mess and they tell me that I have to wait until July 14th, psh. So, got on the phone with apple again and the guy was like we can't do anything about it but we will give you a free bumper! I was like um, I've spent countless hours on hold and have spoken to at least 10 people, a bumper isn't going to solve my problem. Finally got him to let me speak to the supervisor. My wife was more pissed then I was, so I let her loose on the supervisor guy. I was never more proud of her, and man did she rip this guy a new one. Finally the supervisor said that he was going to see what he could do to expedite the order. We were kind of upset that he never gave us a timeline, but he gave us his extension number so we could call to get updates (or bitch at him if nothing was happening).

Well finally got a shipment notification this morning. The phone is arriving on July 7. Can't believe I went through all this for a phone.