iPhone 4 Print? Or a lie?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dave Felix, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have never been able to print from my phone. Since the day I bought it, when I search for nearby printers nothing works. Yes I have a wireless printer and both the printer and iPhone are on the same network. Im currently running 4.3.5. Anyone else having the same problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mine prints just fine. It only prints to AirPrint printers, which as the person above me mentioned, are only on newer HP printers.

You could use your Mac as a device to make your older printers AirPrint capable. I use Printopia, works really well and has some extra options.

3. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

How new are we talking? my printer was purchased in February. :mad:

4. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have the D110 printer - HP Photosmart e-AiO (D110)
    so i dont know the deal

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just based on a quick google search it looks like the HP D110 isn't AirPrint compatible yet. I suggest doing what others have and getting Printopia which makes any attached printer compatible.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I believe Printopia costs money. Something called Print Hacktivator is free. I think that's the name.

7. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah its like twenty bucks to print! For all that I'll just send the url/document to my macbook and print. Also ever since I upgraded to 10.6.8 my wireless is impossible to use so even printopia right now would be a waste of money for me. My roommate prints at ease (windows). Im waiting for Apple to send an update for it. Very frustrating when you're able to print for months and later cant.

Thanks for checking google for me and letting me that the printer isnt compatible, much appreciated bro.

8. rebuhht macrumors newbie

I have my printer connected via USB to an Apple AirPort Extreme. Is there a way to enable AirPrint for any printer connected to that AirPort Extreme?

I can't believe Apple hasn't yet released a firmware update for AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule to allow for AirPrint to any connected USB printer.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Yes. Download Print Hacktivator. I can confirm this works with a printer connected via USB hub for a Time Capsule.

10. rebuhht macrumors newbie

Does it also work if I turn off my Macbook Pro or does the Mac has to be powered on to be able to print from the iPhone?

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Not sure but I think all AirPrint has to have a Mac or PC. I could be wrong though, I think AirPrint uses a printer sharing feature.

12. ThePimento macrumors member

ThePimento

Your Mac has to be on for AirPrint Hacktivator to work. It's actually a small application that you leave running on your computer. That way, anytime you need to print, it searches for that application and uses the printer you've selected.