Iphone 4 Problems..Are you Serious????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WindowsTraitor, Jul 14, 2010.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

You read about recalls, complaints, consumer reports etc. The iphone overheats, drops calls, has reception issues.......

My question is. Have you ever owned a cell phone??????????? The best cell phone I owned was a Nokia, the one that looked like a soap bar. You could only make and receive calls. simple and to the point. The antenna was at the top and if you were to touch it you would loose signal..... (wow that one too?)

My next favorite was the razr, I paid like 400$ for it. Nice looking machine, but basically you could only make and receive calls and some test messaging. You could connect to the internet, but it was only gprs and very slow and very crappy.

all the phones in between were crap and all had reception issues, short battery life, overheating problems, receptions issues etc....

The fact is that with the iphone you can make and receive calls (some people may argue about this and they may have a point, but this is related to AFT) you can email, you can face time, you can use it as a remote camera control etc, you can use it as a navigation system, you can play games, you can read books, you can do about 200'000 things based on the app there are out there.

So basically you now have a computer instead of an iphone..... Have you ever owned a laptop?????? or for the purpose of this, have you ever owned a
    a macbook or macbook pro. Then overheating, battery, wifi, etc are familiar to you.

The point is that when you want to add all the features into such a small device, you may have the same benefits, but you will also have the same issues. I have seen 30 years of computers cell phones ( I owned the first ericson's with the portbale battery brick. etc. none of them have been perfect. No device will ever be perfect. This is the only truth....

Actually for only 200$ you are getting a great deal with the iphone 4.

The only ones making a big issue aout this are the lawyers involved in the class action lawsuit. They are the ones who will make money. not us.

the phone, the computer, etc will stay the same. They will have the intrinsic failure in them. No device will ever be perfect...........

I am not an apple shareholder, but this issue will only affect small investors, that will see their investment go down the drain if a recall were to happen...

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks for a whole new thread about this. It hasn't been discussed ANYWHERE yet.

You lost me at "Then overheating, battery, wifi, etc are familiar to you."

I wasn't aware that we should accept mediocrity. I love my iPhone4. I'd love it more if it worked as the device it was intended. But even more importantly - I'd love it if the company that made the device manned up and took responsibility for it's shortcomings and communicated effectively to its customers rather than B.S. Public Relations.

But hey - that's my .02. And yes. I'm "serious!!!"

No one

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

You know, it's great that the iPhone has so many features, but when many of those features rely on wireless data, and the reception is destroyed when you touch your phone, then you have a problem.

You cannot do any of that (in bold) while holding the phone normally without a case, especially anything other than a phone call... You can't send messages while holding it in the normal orientation in your hand because the phone (at least mine) cannot have any data throughput if you even touch the left side of the phone, black separator or not.

There is a problem. The iPhone 4 is not a good phone. However, it is a great iPod.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Lets stay simple and relevant. My 3GS never drops data like my 4 did.

5. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

OP:

The phone functions/quality of most iPhones is very poor. always has been. It's quite feature rich though, to a degree. The iPhone is a great concept and has lots of potential abilities, but what good is it if the speed is slow to non-existant and you are troubled by dropped calls and non reception. THIS is unacceptable. Its like having a fast exotic sports car with little to no gas.

6. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I can do all those things. While holding the phone however I want. Without a case...

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok. and others can't.

8. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Exactly, so why do people keep saying they can't, while others can? Is there a point? No.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

You're the one that said you can. Was there a point to your post?

The point ultimately is - there's an issue. And it needs to be addressed.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

How many times can people keep starting the same threads & repeating the same arguments, pro and con?

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You'd be surprised at the answer.

12. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

There was no point to my post, which ironically was the point.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

When are we getting MMS and Tethering, Aggie?

14. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

It's not a $200 phone. It's a $200 plus two years of monthly payments including a rather expensive data plan using arguably the worst carrier in the US. A phone you have to jailbreak, voiding your warranty, if you want to add some basic functionality found in phones that have been around for years. That's an expensive phone that should work properly or, at the very least, problems should be acknowledged by the manufacturer along with a plan of action concerning those problems. That the phone has problems isn't even in question anymore. It's fairly easily proven and understood if you have any education in electronic engineering, antenna theory and math. The issue is what will Apple do about it, if anything at all? So far they've been content to do and say nothing and that's not acceptable to a lot of people, not just class action lawyers, who had to drop at least $200, sign a two year contract and then drop another $30 or so on a decent case so they could use their phone without having to worry about how they held it.

Oh, and before "If you don't like, return it" gets paraded around as a valid solution yet again, some people bought an iPhone for an actual reason, they weren't skipping by an Apple or AT&T store and decided it was a good time to throw away a couple hundred dollars. If a Droid or an EVO or a Blackberry or my old AT&T Fuze or pretty much anything else suited my needs, that's what I'd be using right now as I laughed at all the breathless hyperbole on this site. But they don't and an iPhone does, so I have an iPhone. I don't dislike it and I'm not returning it and I want it fixed so I don't NEED a case in order to do anything with the phone without worrying about how I'm holding it.

15. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Same reason why people keep saying they can while others can't. ;)

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It is a great iPhone especially when put in a case where any expensive piece of gear should be. Then the supposed Antenna issue is a non-issue.

How do I know? I have a iP4 with the Antenna Issue, it is in a Frogz case - Therefore it is a non-issue. It works as advertised, I have never lost bars, nor dropped a call, and when I go to trade it in on a iP5 it will get top dollar because it will still look pristine, and work as well as it does now.

17. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Sorry but no, covering an issue doesn't make it a non-issue, it makes it an issue that's been covered up. No, they're not the same thing because it doesn't work as advertised if you have to put it in a case. I thought it astounding that no one at Apple thought it appropriate to put something non-conductive on the antenna if for no other reason than to keep people from getting all freaked out thinking they were being slowly cooked or some such nonsense. And after all the usual blah blah blah from Jobs about how it's "art", it's fairly funny that the only way it's reliable is when it's in a case.

18. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I really haven't had any problems w/ mine yet. Aside from the ****ty 3 or 4 days of bad ATT data throughput (that seems to have gone away). I can't really complain about my iPhone. I could care less about the reception issue as I always planned to put it in a case from the moment I decided I wanted one (c'mon Otterbox already - jeez).

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I thought the StarTac and the V60 were both great phones.

19. blubyu macrumors member

Fixt it for you. Statements like yours is what generally piss me off. Maybe you are having problems with your iphone and I am sorry if you are, but stop saying everybody has the problems you do.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Um, no. If you had your roof replaced it had a leak and when you called the roofing company they told you to put a plastic tarp over the leak, would you say "oh ok, problem solved, no more leak, it's now a non issue"?

21. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

HA!!! Well said.

22. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Yes, yes I have...

Attached Files:

23. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

I have the reception "issue" too. But for me is not an issue.

The fact is that people were going to use a case anyway. The fact that apple designed the bumper the way they did shows that they already knew that there may be an issue.

Nevertheless one thing is to look at the bars and the other is to actually see if the call drops or not. Minding that I will never hold the phone that way when making a call, minding that when you are in the car you should use handsfree or not use it all for safety, I tried to drop a call by touching the "dark" spot" but I was not able to.

the call does not drop. I tried the same thing using only 2g, and while the signal bar is higher, I have the same result.

Every transmission equipment is subject to signal loss. Since they designed a glass front and back, this was the only way to have bluetooth, wi-fi 3g etc.

So then maybe that is the flow in the design. But that is what makes it beautiful.

So if you do not like beauty, just use the case. If you like beauty then once in a while take out of the case, and clean it and look at it. (JK)

This could be resolved by applying a transparent non conductive coating on that spot. Especially a silicon based coating could be the best solution. there goes my 1billion $ patent .....

24. chromey macrumors member

The good news is my phone doesn't drop calls. The bad news is, that if I actually make a call, I end up changing my ringtone about 6 times, calling 4 people, muting the call and initiating facetime all with my cheek. So, I think I'd probably rather have bad reception at this point.

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Technology is killing us all and making everyone stupid.

Look at the arguments in this Forum, look at the things ppl are pissed off at, but guess what, we move on, keep buying the latest and greatest.