iPhone 4 Problems With Mac OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacRumors123456, Jan 29, 2011.

1. MacRumors123456 macrumors newbie

Not sure where to post, sorry.
    I'm kinda new here but was wondering something. My iPhone seems to really hate my Mac. It doesn't work right on it. Jailbreaking never works, syncing screws up, it stops in the middle of firmware restores, and its just weird. All of these actions work on other computers. All software is up to date and even when I update there is problems. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. Is it possible that it is just something between the phone and the computer?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) Jailbreaking isnt exactly supported, so if done wrong (such as wrong toolset for that particular iOS version), it can easily break things
    2) Have you tried a different cable between phone and mac etc, different port even (Sometimes it can be very small but very obscure changes in say the voltage of a USB port that can cause havoc)

3. MacRumors123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only have 2 ports :) used both of them with different cables and nothing.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Apple is pretty good about making sure Apple gear works with Apple gear. I never sync with iTunes. Maybe once or twice per device. I allow backups only when updating my OS. I have OS X 10.6.6 and iPhone 4. The only differences I can spot between what I do and what you do is I don't ever sync with iTunes and I don't jailbreak. From time to time I do "transfer purchases" to make sure my apps are backed up in the event I get a new device and want an app that is no longer in the app store.

I've been tempted to jailbreak a couple of times but never bothered. As for a particular iThing not "getting along with" a particular Mac, again the only risk that comes to mind is jailbreaking. Have you tried going into DFU and doing an OS restore and sticking with the stock OS for a while? This way if there is a problem, Apple will help you get to the bottom of it and you can go back to jailbreaking once you have a fully working iPhone to Mac connection. Of course if you don't have problems with the stock OS but you do have problems when you jb, you have another decision to make. Can you live without jb?

5. MacRumors123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats one of the problems. I can't restore. Even in regular restore mode with the stock firmware straight from apple through itunes it doesn't work. I could live without the jailbreak but I can't even update firmware or restore to make it go away. I don't really mind having it though...

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Sounds to me as if your Jailbreaking has altered something somewhere in the iOS Device Tree thats causing iTunes Problems connecting and restoring firmware.

7. MacRumors123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway of re-downloading it or creating a new file?

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Not if its something on the iOS thats wrong, as well, the way to change it is to restore it, which you cant do for some reason.

9. MacRumors123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can restore. It goes to around 50% and stays there. I've left it on for 4+ hours and it didn't move. Stopped the restore and tried again. Went to the same spot. I tried to use a different firmware but it doesn't let me downgrade. When I do option + restore instead of letting me choose a firmware file, it pops up with a window that says We must check for updates and then restore, with a button that says "Update and Restore" or Cancel.