Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhjapple89

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Waco, TX
Take this for what you want, but I wouldn't take the time to post this if it wasn't true. I have no way to prove it to you but anyways...

I have had the proximity issue since day 1 (June 24). I got the iPhone 4 at my local Apple Store and I experienced issues with it from the get go with the proximity sensor. When I got the phone I did not restore from backup, I set it up as a new phone. By 3rd day I had gotten fed up with the proximity issue, and I called AppleCare and told them about it.

I got my first iPhone 4 exchanged after 2 trips to the Apple Store (first guy told me that it was in a different location and that I probably was holding it wrong. I left and knew I would come back the next day and hope for a different genius).

Anyways, I went back the next day got a new genius and told him the problems and he said he heard of it and gave me a new iPhone 4.

I thought this would solve all my problems. Nope, the iPhone I currently have is worse than the first I had. I cannot make a call without having my face interfere with the call. For the past few days all my calls I make have been on speaker phone.

Now to fast track today, I called AppleCare again because I was just fed up with it and hoping the software update coming out for the antenna would fix it. (This is when I assumed it was software related).

Anyways, the first lady I spoke to was nice and great and she understood the problem, and then upgraded my called to Tier 2 Tech Support. There I spoke to a another lady who said she was familiar with the problem, and I asked her bluntly, is this a software or hardware issue. She flat out told me it was a HARDWARE ISSUE. I asked if Apple was going to make a statement about it, and she told me probably not.

Anyways, I now have another genius appointment to replace this iPhone tomorrow, and I asked what if this iPhone has the same problem. She said if that's the case then give me a call and I will send you another iPhone 4 straight from the FACTORY. She said that they would specifically get an iPhone 4 straight off the factory line for me, and make sure it doesn't have a bad proximity sensor in it.

Believe it if you want, this is just what I was told.

I feel like a huge batch of the first iPhone 4 were given faulty proximity sensors. My first iPhone 4 was built in week 24, and this one was built in week 26 so the bad batch has to fall somewhere in there.

Sorry it's so long.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
She could have just said that, or been confused and not really sure of what she was saying. But then again, who knows...

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
I have no way to prove it to you but anyways...

nuff said.

please don't make claims in titles then say you have no way to prove it, the only people who know if it's a hardware problem or software are the engineers, I'm willing to bet the CSR hasn't even seen an iphone 4 aside from the diagrams on her computer screen she clicks when people say they are having a problem with it

og1

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
it is nothing more than a problem at this point. nobody on this board is qualified to decipher it as software or hardware, or hardware fixable by software etc. sorry you are having issues though. mine is acting weird sometimes too.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Take this for what you want, but I wouldn't take the time to post this if it wasn't true. I have no way to prove it to you but anyways...

Well, that gives me a lot of confidence in the veracity of your claim. :rolleyes:

Someone took the time to write every lie on the Internet, so you'll forgive me if that doesn't convince me.

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
I went to Setting/General/Reset/Reset all setting and it fixed my proximity issue with both mine and my wife's. I wonder if it has something to do with backing up from a previous iPhone? There are no issues for us now.

keyofnight

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Seattle, WA, USA.
nuff said.

please don't make claims in titles then say you have no way to prove it, the only people who know if it's a hardware problem or software are the engineers, I'm willing to bet the CSR hasn't even seen an iphone 4 aside from the diagrams on her computer screen she clicks when people say they are having a problem with it

Right… two CSRs confirmed this for me—"they don't give us iPhones, they just train us to troubleshoot the problems."

They were tier 2 too. Lol.

C'mon guys, this is silly.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
So, you'll be on your 4th, then possibly 5th phone?
That's a pretty clear hint that you're just not meant to have a working iPhone 4. Time to get your refund and wait until next year when Apple have fixed it (unless they're wiped out by the expense of a product recall...)

SHAWNYMAC

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
JERSEY SHORE
well.....it's confirmed with me.....i am on my third new phone and i will say....it's a gem .....
i could not even use the phone other than speaker...now i can use it in either side left or right.....

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Yes, I spoke to someone at the AT&T store - not an employee, but he was in the store. This is now CONFIRMED.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
So, you'll be on your 4th, then possibly 5th phone?
That's a pretty clear hint that you're just not meant to have a working iPhone 4. Time to get your refund and wait until next year when Apple have fixed it (unless they're wiped out by the expense of a product recall...)

So many ignorant people on MR now it's simply amazing. What product recall? You mean the one that won't happen because the MAJORITY of people are happy with their i-4. If this wasn't the case then there would be massive lines of people at the apple stores waiting to return their phone...... I've been to my apple store about 5 times sense launch and guess what.... wait for it..... I haven't seen on person there to return the phone. Now I know I'm not there all the time and I'm sure there is a mad rush to return i-4's when I'm not there but I just haven't seen it.
You are correct on one thing though, it is time for people to finally shut up about the "issues" they are having and do something about it. Vote with your wallet people! If your phone is having issues, take it back, get your $ back and purchase a device that works for you.

No. Not at all. Maybe for OP. I was having sensor issues, did a restore as new and my phone has been flawless all week. It was a software issue for me.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

At least I HOPE he was being sarcastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.