Iphone 4 proximity sensor fix after white conversion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aj013, Jun 10, 2011.

1. aj013 macrumors newbie

I got this guy to fix my iphone 4 for me recently after i broke the front screen in a car accident. This guy graciously said he would convert it to a white one for me. Ever since my proximity sensor has not been working at all. Is there a fix to this? Like the sharpie fix (can you post pictures or a link to a video doing this), replacing cables, or anything at all.

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

It could be a number of things. There could be dirt/debris covering the sensor. Most likely it's just letting to much light in and the sensor can't function properly.

The two easiest fixes I use daily are the sharpie "trick" or cutting a small piece of electrical tape around the sensor. I've attached an image to show you what I'm referring to.

Attached Files:

3. aj013 thread starter macrumors newbie

so in the picture is the painted in place referring to the electrical tape or the sharpie? sorry ive never actually taken the phone apart so im kind of nervous

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

It's referring to the tape. You cut that out and place it around the sensor. The sharpie is simply darkening the glass that covers where the sensor is.

If you're unsure of taking your phone apart, just watch some guides and go VERY slowly. The screws in iPhones are extremely small and easy to lose. No to mention the ribbon cables on the digitizer/lcd assembly are very easy to rip if the front isn't assembled properly.