Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
I got my iPhone 4 this morning.

Everything looks and works great except for the proximity sensor.

For some reason, the screen turns back on within 1/2 inch from face, which makes me press buttons during a call. I was on one call and pressed the speaker button twice and the 3 key before I realized something was wrong.

I took my wife's 3gs, and the screen turned on 4-5 inches from my face.

Wonder if it's a hardware or software thing. Any other's with the new phone have this problem?

mckandy

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think the same thing is happening to me. I initiated a Face Time call, hit speaker, and hung up on the person all in one call.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Ok, so its not just "me" being funky and imagining a problem.

This seems like something that would have been picked up in testing, but I guess they were busy drinking beer.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Ok, so its not just "me" being funky and imagining a problem.

This seems like something that would have been picked up in testing, but I guess they were busy drinking beer.

I just got on here to see if anyone else had this problem. I was on a call on my new iPhone 4 earlier this evening and i kept hitting buttons on the keypad, even though the screen was turned off due to it being next to my face. My 3GS never did this.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
I just got on here to see if anyone else had this problem. I was on a call on my new iPhone 4 earlier this evening and i kept hitting buttons on the keypad, even though the screen was turned off due to it being next to my face. My 3GS never did this.

Count me in. I had turned on mute and was super confused why the person couldn't hear me...

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
suggestion

I was just checking out Apple's support discussions and found a thread about this. Someone said they talked to Apple support and they suggested:

Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset All Settings

(CAUTION will clear your wifi setups)

I went ahead and did it since i only have one wifi password so far anyway. i'll see how if it helps in the coming days.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Everything works great as long as I keep it glued to my head. Once I forget about it, what do you know, I am calling someone else. The only reason I noticed is I heard a damn ring tone.
:rolleyes:

Seriously. Whats up with all the issues?

This problem and the antennae problem (Which I have as well.) seem like things that should have been noticed a LONG time ago.

I only noticed the antennae issue after watching the video and testing.

Goldfire

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2009
Oklahoma City
I seem to be having the same issue. I haven't pressed any buttons yet, but I can see the screen turning on and off when I am on the phone.

kumardes

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Same problem for me

I got my phone yesterday.. I think there is a problem with the Proximity sensor. Since yesterday, Screen is turning on automatically while I am talking and doing weird things.. It is calling my old contacts .. and call is ending automatically , speaker phone is turning on .. placing Hold ... I tried to reset the setting still no luck .... Any one facing the same issue ????

yrrej

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
there is a two page thread on this already. its only 3-4 threads down from this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.