iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor the Front Camera!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brannon, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Brannon macrumors regular

Okay so you know how on the 3GS and 3g and 2g you can hold the phone into the light the right way and see the proximity sensor and the ambient light sensor?

Well unless i am completely missing it it is not there on the iPhone 4. I have thought from the beginning that Apple could just use the front facing camera to substitute for those sensors and save room in the device. But sense i have been having "Proximity Sensor Issues" i just looked at it and i think i am right!

This also makes perfect sense! Cause it is perfectly doable to use a camera as those two sensors! And that is just like Apple, to take two pieces of hardware away to substitute them with one, better more function capable piece of hardware!

Plus this would explain the "Proximity Sensor Issues"!! Apple is in new territory and they simply did not make the front camera sensitive enough! Because when apple has had 3 generations of iPhones with Proximity Sensors in all 3 why would they screw up on the fourth? I mean it would be the same code right? Just plug it in! But if they are using the camera, that is a more complex algorithm, and would perfectly explain why there are a few issues with it!

Can anybody confirm or deny this? I am extremely curious now!

Thank you!

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Completely wrong. Sorry. I'll work on fetching you a picture, but the proximity sensor is above the receiver.

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Look in very bright light shining on it... you will see the "grill" that is highly visible on the white iPhone.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Just look at the white iPhone. Sensor at top.

5. Brannon thread starter macrumors regular

awwww man your right! Its right there at the top! I shined a flash light there and its like a little bar.......

Damnit! I thought i was on to something! Oh well!

Seems like using the camera would use more battery anyways.......