iPhone 4 purchase limit in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mohsy90, Apr 29, 2011.

1. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

So im headed up to Montreal this weekend to see some family and i've been waiting so long to find a reason to go up to Canada and buy some factory unlocked iPhone 4's. Anyone know if there is a limit to how many i can purchase, and whether they have placed any limit on the recently released white version iPhone 4?

I'm looking to keep one so i dont have to do this jail-breaking and unlocking crap and sell a couple for profit. Anyone know if i'd face any problem buying 4 at the apple store?

Your input is much appreciated.

2. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Factory unlocked iPhones FTW. So much easier than dealing with sketchy unlock solutions.

Couple things you should know:

1) There is a 2-per-customer limit on any iPhone 4 in Canada, black or white. The Apple Store is also the only place you can go to get factory unlocked iPhones in Canada.

2) There is a lot of debate about how this limit is enforced. Most certainly you can't ask them for more than 2 phones, nor can you place an order for more than 2 online. There are rumors that they actually track your number of purchases by your credit card number so keep that in mind.

3) Best way to get more than 2 phones is to go to two different Apple Stores and use 2 different credit cards. Chances are you can go to the same one and just deal with a different person and that would work just as well if you have 2 credit cards or a wad of cash :) FYI There is more than 1 Apple Store in Montreal so you should be set!

4) Remember that there is 13.5% sales tax in Quebec and that the Canadian dollar is currently trading a bit higher than the US dollar. Factor those costs into your purchase :)

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's going to cost you $744.67 CAN per iPhone (16GB model).

With the exchange rate it will cost you around $785 US. (Could be a bit more) And now to make any money from this you'll at least have to sell it for $900. Why go through the hassle for 50 bucks?

I wouldn't do it... It's just going to be a waste of time.

4. mohsy90 thread starter macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Oh wow, thats insane, i knew their dollar was strong but 13.5% sales tax is like another $100 USD on top of the retail. I calculated $790. Unlocked ones are going for $750 on eBay. I think ill stick to eBay to buy myself one.

The white 16gb unlocked are going for around a thousand on eBay, so i could make some easy profit. I'll see, thanks for the input.

5. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Woohoo! Go Canada! :)

Pardon my gloating, but rarely is the Canadian dollar stronger than the US. This is a big deal for us.

...really, it's all that we've got. :p

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Not to mention the risk. I try to avoid eBay, especially after the last iPhone I sold the buyer started complaining about non-existent battery issues. It was a two week old phone!

Attached Files:

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah it's pretty expensive and I wouldn't really trust eBay with that type of money on the line. People are known for scamming and it's pretty sad. If you're going to try selling it, I'd say to see if you can sell it to someone local. This way you can meet up at let's say a coffee shop or something and exchange the goods then. This way you won't have to worry about anything going wrong.

9. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

What about border control? If I declare that I have two unopened iPhones, what taxes or duties will I incur? Do people generally not declare Canadian iPhones when they're driving back to the States and just move right along without any hassle?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its no hassle that they don't check. If they decide to search your luggage, car then its an even larger hassle and possible legal trouble

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That's actually a bad thing..

12. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

In some aspects, yes, but it definitely makes purchasing things from the States cheaper, which ultimately, is all I care about. :p :D