Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starkwhitewalls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
If I were to purchase an iPhone 4 because I needed a phone, does Apple allow me to upgrade to the newest version at a reduced rate?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

No

Starkwhitewalls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I have been eligible for an upgrade since January. I was holding out in hopes of the newest phone but now my wretched Blackberry is going downhill quickly.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
You may be able to save your upgrade and get a cheap phone to start service or continue service. I started with ATT that way after Sprint shafted me. ATT even paid my early contract termination to sprint for me. I sure wasn't going to!

Worth looking into.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I have been eligible for an upgrade since January. I was holding out in hopes of the newest phone but now my wretched Blackberry is going downhill quickly.

Your 2 best choices, then:

1) Get the iPhone 4 now and be happy with it past whenever the next iPhone comes out. (This is not terrible. I bought an i4 last summer and will keep using it until the 6th iPhone comes out.) Depending on your carrier you may be able to buy the 6th iPhone for the full subsidy when it comes out or maybe a half-subsidy, depending on your bill and how far off that is.

2) Get the iPhone 4 now. Baby it so it stays in nice condition and sell it on E-Bay when the 5th one comes out and buy the 5th one at full price. You'll lose a hundred dollors to two, but it'll come close to covering the cost.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
1) Get the iPhone 4 now and be happy with it past whenever the next iPhone comes out. (This is not terrible. I bought an i4 last summer and will keep using it until the 6th iPhone comes out.) Depending on your carrier you may be able to buy the 6th iPhone for the full subsidy when it comes out or maybe a half-subsidy, depending on your bill and how far off that is.

In my opinion this is the best option. Just get the iPhone and be happy :).

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
In my opinion this is the best option. Just get the iPhone and be happy :).

I agree!

My 3G S died last month and I really did not relish buying the iPhone 4 as I was trying to hold out for the iPhone 5. Well, I needed a phone and finally bought iPhone 4. I love it! It is leaps and bounds over the 3G S. I do not regret my purchase-well, I did exchange it for the white iPhone (which was released during my 30 day return period).

Starkwhitewalls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I've been warming to the idea of the iPhone 4 over the past month but I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing the phone over at Best Buy. I would have their buy back on the phone for 3 months and then just trade it in.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I've been warming to the idea of the iPhone 4 over the past month but I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing the phone over at Best Buy. I would have their buy back on the phone for 3 months and then just trade it in.

Is their program really that good? Why don't you just sell the device on craigslist or ebay instead?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's up to the carrier, not Apple. Are you eligible for an upgrade?

Exactly.
People need to learn the basic way carrier subsidies work for years now.
Apple doesnt give you the discount, AT&T pays for the remaining price of the phone past the $199-299 price when you sign a 2 year contract with them.
And they dont let you just upgrade whenever you feel like it.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
I'd say buy the iPhone 4 now and sell it on Craigslist/eBay if you decide you want the next iPhone. They sell for a pretty good amount, especially the white ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.