iPhone 4 Purple Tint/ Yellowish Tint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrioCloud, Jan 23, 2011.

1. BrioCloud macrumors member

Hi. I have compared my iPhone 4 with my brothers which we bought at the same time. It seem that his phone has a yellowish tint, while mine is generally more purple. This is much more apparent on a white screen. Do we have a problem with our phones? I have read that the yellow is the defective color, but my own phone's purple hue is also a bit off putting. I thought an iPhone 4 would have a very white white.

I had no idea it was yellow or purple, until compared with my brothers. So does anyone else have a comparison or know of this problem? Thanks.

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

This is one of the largest debates I swear. Not all of the phones are manufactured EXACTLY the same. Some people have had success getting their yellow screens replaced, but it's truly a matter of preference. Some people like the "warmer" look that you get with the yellow tint. The other bluish tint (not purple) is the normal.

In my opinion, neither is a defect.

3. BrioCloud thread starter macrumors member

Wow I see. Maybe I have mistaken my iPhone for having a purple hue instead of a blue one. Does anyone have this problem?

4. 0wnage macrumors member

Different manufacturers = different LCD temperatures

Yellow = Not normal (But some people like it)
    Blue = Normal (Some people dislike it)

You decide what you like better, and go through as many phones as you need until you're satisfied.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I do not think Apple gives any guarantees on back lighting color temperature. It will vary from one supply to another. These are not color calibrated devices:eek:

If it really bothers you, Apply might exchange, but who knows what you will get next?

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Down side of massive production in the cheapest plant Apple could find over seas. All the apologists on this forum aside, you would expect the "best phone in the world" to have consistent colors across the board.

The trouble is when you compare phones. A lot of people now have dual monitors and when one isn't as bright as the other, you know it and you will consider the monitor faulty. People know white.

7. vstephenson macrumors member

Not sure if Im talking ***** or not but my two cents...

i got an iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago and I was horrified at how yellow mine was compared to my old 3GS

i read that the yellow tint could be caused by a bonding agent used in the screen manufacture and this would evaporate over time with use.

Now I must say that while my phone still looks a bit tinted it isnt as strong as it was out of the box, by a long way. To the degree that I have stopped thinking about it when I use it now. In fact looking at it now under these office lights I must say I am quite happy with the whitieness of my whites. (now I sound like a detergent tv ad)

Cheers
    vin

8. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Its a defect. Get it exchange asap!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058035