iPhone 4 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bentown, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bentown macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My gf is looking to upgrade to a smartphone from (I **** you not) a Nokia 6230... seriously... She mostly wants it for cloud services like email, calendar etc., but I imagine once she gets one she will find way more uses.

Anyway, she is seriously considering buying an iPhone 4 new, but I am a little concerned about how old it is in tech and Apple terms, and it being useless after a year ir so. Can you guys shed any light on the shelf life of this phone?

I know this is a basic ass question, but your responses are appreciated.

2. jjusmo macrumors regular

From my experience, most girls don't understand a lot about specs etc. iPhone 4 is still a good phone and I bet she will like it after an old Nokia lol It propably won't get all the amazing features of iOS7 but it can run iOS6 fine. If the price is good I would say buy it. You better teach her what she can do with the phone but go slow so she can get used to all the smartphone stuff

3. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

With the next iPhone only a few months away, the lowest I'd go is a 4S. Seriously, it'll be 3~4 generations old in a few months. Not a good idea. Probably wont get iOS 8, etc.

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

I'm using a 4 and it is laggy for even general navigation. My girlfriend was using it the other day and even she was asking me why it was so slow. This will only get worse with os updates. At minimum get the 4s, since it is twice as fast, and the average user won't notice a problem.

5. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

With the iPhone 4 you won't have Siri and turn by turn directions with Apple Maps (although you can use Google Maps for that).

As other have said, better to get at least the 4S.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

wow, I had to look up that phone model.

I was going to say ATT has/had a trade-in offer going but doubt her phone makes the cut.

the iPhone 4S is around $99 now...when teh next phone is released the iP5 will be $99 (theoretically).

if she could wait, a better phone could be had for the same price as those selling now.