iPhone 4 RAM problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Arcticguy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Arcticguy macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I want to tell you something I'm noticing lately.. Is normal to have just 100 Mb. of free RAM not having a lot of aplications running background (from 8-12)? I'm on iOS 4.3 not jailbroken and after a normal day usage I notice that.. I've closed all applications and rebooted and I get 350 Mb.. I think this is a problem.. iOS can't use 160 Mb, can it?
    And I've installed some applications that let you see the processes and I only see 503 Mb of RAM when should be 512.. Anyway, 100 Mb free RAM is too few for a normal usage..
    Please, give me some opinions and tell me how your phones behave with the RAM!
    Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You shouldn’t be down to 100 MB with just a few apps open.

3. jdaniel macrumors 65816

you will be surprised how many applications are running in the background and only close fully after a while, on their own. I have Sbsettings and I can see under processes and also how much ram is used and what you have described happens all the time, thats the way it works nothing unusual about that. as i am typing i checked it was 190, then "remove all background" and its 317, I always get <400. So I don't think there is anything amiss.

4. Arcticguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah.. But I mean, When I reboot I have 350 free Mb and opening 10 apps consume 250 Mb??? I think it's a madness. Maybe it's iOS 4.3 that has more background processes.. Dunno, but I have the idea that something is wrong with my iPhone 4, maybe this is normal but I don't know how to be sure..

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

eh maybe you are not reading what I wrote...well enuff... *sigh*... Let me repeat myself ok.....

1. Your rebooting and my using 'remove background' to stop all applications is similar if not the same, when it comes to the effect you want which to terminate all background programs.. and we have similar results... 300+mb..simple concept yes?

2. Apple by itself cannot tell you..what processes are running in the background...so unless you want to jailbreak 4.3 (I wouldnt suggest it for someone like you now, until they get a untethered jailbreak) and install sbsettings then you can see what processes are running and when you install and use 'remove background' you can see the diff right away.

3. I repeat. that I have almost the same numbers you are getting and i am on 4.2.1 so if you actually want to listen.... I am telling you theres nothing wrong....if you want to be paranoid.. suit yourself.. I dont know what else i can tell you except when I read your post.. I looked at my phone.. tested it out.. posted back... what more do u want....when someone takes the time to look into your 'issue' n post back how bout u take the time to read..and stop whinning.. ugggh

Dont like it.. nothing much u can do.. thats the way it is.. I have no issues because I dont go upgrading my phone for no reason...I look at what benefits the upgrade brings versus what I have now.. and I can easily stop all processes with a press of a button.. and my ram is free...and again I am getting nearly the same numbers you are getting...

6. Arcticguy thread starter macrumors newbie

alrite then! don't get angry mate! :p cheers for your answer!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just a few isn’t 10. :) With that many apps open, I’m not surprised you’re down to 100. You’re fine.