Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
New Iphone 4, every now and then it says No Sim. Sometimes a reboot, sometimes I reseat the SIM.

Anyone else have this happen?

Bad sim?

soupcxan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Mine was delivered today and tonight I noticed a random "no SIM" message. Didn't drop it or anything like that. Brand new phone with brand new SIM pre-installed. Reseated the SIM and it works, but if this happens regularly its going back.

spiderguy84

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Happened to me as well. My wife also had a new iPhone so we switched sims to see if it would work. Whatever sim is in my iPhone will usually say no sim

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah same here, I actually have one reserved at Apple as well, I'm going to use it a lot tonight. Did a restore and reseat and all is well...for now.

spiderguy84

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Found something interesting. Both times I've lost sim signal it has been with my phone on silent. I turned it off flipped it off silent and back on and it read the aim card. Some type of software bug with phone on vibrate? If yours isn't working would you flip it off silent and see if that helps?

spiderguy84

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
40 minutes with apple help and their brilliant idea? Restore. Guess I'll see how that goes. I really think it's some glitch with the vibrate switch. I've kept it on normal and have had no problems. In an hour I'll put it on vibrate and see if I can duplicate the issue

spiderguy84

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I've been using mine heavily for 4 hours and it hasn't messed up anymore. I didn't restore or change anything. Very odd and hope it's just a software bug that can be fixed with an update soon

flipm725

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
it happened to me too. I went to AT&T and got it reactivated there. Tried a restore at home and it didn't work.

justintact

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Same thing has been happening to my new iphone 4 today! No sim and then the signal completely drops!! I hope this is fixed soon!

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Got a new SIM card from AT&T today and no problems so far, but I probably just jinxed myself.

It happened 5 times last night with the old SIM, but a reseat of the SIM and reboot of the phone cleared it up. Actually once the reboot did not clear it up which led me to think it was a bad SIM.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
im glad im not the only one... im going to fight my way to at&t tomrow to get a new sim

AT&T wasn't that bad, since they didn't get that many phones you shouldn't have to wait very long. I got there at 7.am and had to wait literally 2 minutes. I was out in less than 10.

Digglez

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
My girlfriend is having the same problem. The only solution for her is to re-insert the sim tray. The error happens quite frequently. I would say 15 minutes of use tops. I wish there was some sort of DIY solution to tide her over until replacement units are available.

This is her first iPhone and she has been counting down the days since the keynote. Unfortunately her excitement was abruptly dampened by a device that cannot be held with her left hand, cannot be used for more than 15 minutes at a time and cannot touch her face because the proximity sensor does not work half of the time.

Update: I spoke with an apple rep who said that they are unaware of any sim problems, and that a restore would probably do the trick. We tried that last night to no avail..... I guess we will be waiting a month or so until these things are readily available.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
It's either software related or a bad batch of SIMS. Still no issue with my new SIM. Her's happens much more frequently, I only had it happen once during use. The other times the phone was idle.

Unconsoled

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Rain City WA
SIM card failure

So i got my phone yesterday and set it up fine. Recognized the number and set it up with the right account. During the sync however I got a SIM card failure message. Restarted same problem. Restored it and same problem. Drove to the AT&T store and after a little hassle they replaced the SIM. All was fine. They said they had had two other people that day with the same issue.

Skip to today....one of my co workers girlfriend works for AT&T in the complaint department and she said they are getting tons of calls with the same issue and they had sent out a "huge" number of phones with faulty SIM chips.:mad:

If you have issues find an AT&T store and get a new SIM. Hope everyone is having fun problem free setups!

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
SAME ISSUES, iPhone 4 sent back for replacement...

I have the same issue, Started yesterday. When I first got the iPhone 4, iTune says "No SIM installed". I figured it was just some initialization problem, unplug and plug the SIM back in, that fixed the problem and iTune was able to recognize the SIM and I was able to do the activation.

However, the "No SIM installed" problem appeared through out the day, every time the problem is solved either by take out and put the SIM back in or putting the phone in flight mode and back to normal mode. Eventually Apple suggested going down to ATT and get a new SIM to see if that solves the problem. So I got the new SIM card from ATT at about 6 p.m. when I wake up the next morning around 8 a.m. the phone was showing "No SIM installed" again. (I have also reinstalled the firmware at this point)

Call Apple back, kept on telling me it's ATT's problem. I told them no way, I told them that I can understand if the phone is telling me that is has "no service" then I can agree that's an ATT problem. But when the phone doesn't even detect the SIM card (the new one), I have to assume there is some problem with the phone. So eventually I argued my way through and ask them to take it back for repair or a replacement. They said they will have to look at it and decide if this is a phone related problem and not something to do with ATT...

So after less then 48 hours and about 5 hours on the phone with the Apple advisor. I now have no phone, and I'm having hard time finding a phone to use because I'm now left with a micro-SIM...

Good one Apple, just keep blaming on ATT!!!

Unconsoled

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Rain City WA
Yikes. That does sound like the hardware isn't recognizing the SIM which WOULD be Apple's fault. Sorry to hear that. Mine recognized it but said it was invalid.

Hope it gets resolved soon.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Had this problem twice so far. First time was in the parking lot after buying the phone. When I registered it with my computer it started working again. Now several hours later it failed again. Rebooting and syncing no help. Will post back if things improve.

EDIT: Reseating the SIM helped...for now.

allan86

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Im having the same problem and i'm in the UK, works for a while then it'll come up and say no sim installed, restarting or turning airplane mode on/off works but not for long, extremely frustrating.

Digglez

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
We went to AT&T last night and had them replace the sim card. Everything worked ok for a couple of hours and then it happened again. Off to the genius bar we go!

Grimes

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
This has happened a to me a few times with my old 3G phone. I have tried various solutions to try and get the phone to recognize the sim; took it out and blew in it (a la old nintendo cartridges), vibrate on/off switch, power down and restart, turn on off 3g, etc. Nothing in particular ever worked consistently, but it would eventually acknowledge the sim.

Very annoying, especially at the time... I honestly thought it was just my 3G crapping out on me (it is in good shape, but it is 2 years old).

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
I got the iPhone 4 yesterday and this started happening to me. Ended up taking it to an AT&T store and had them switch out the sim. Ended up not having service for 30 minutes and the error popped up again prior to getting service so I restarted the phone one last time and had service when it popped back up and haven't had the error since. Hopefully that resolved the issue for good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.