iPhone 4 randomly shuts off and is unresponsive?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by magicpinkdrink, Apr 23, 2011.

1. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I got a replacement iPhone 4 about 2 months ago when the lock button broke on my original one. A few weeks ago my battery life took a turn for the worst but I chalked it up to the iOS updates and got used to taking my charger everywhere "just in case". Not a big deal, just annoying.

Well, last night I went out with some friends and went to go pull my phone out to take some pictures. To my surprise, my phone that had been fully charged and working fine 5 minutes earlier was completely dead. It would not turn on, and trying a hard reset did nothing. Completely ticked me off. I spent $200 on this thing, plus the monthly bill, and I've had 2 phones go bad on me since September?

When I got home, I threw it on the charger, not holding my breath and to my amazement it powered on, still showing a fully charged battery and it's been acting fine ever since. However, I'm wondering what may have caused my phone to be a temporary brick? It's not water damaged, never been jailbroken, and is treated better than a newborn baby. Has anyone had this happen? Is it a fluke thing or do I need to march down to the apple store an hour away and get ANOTHER replacement?

Thanks in advance!

2. RappleRapple macrumors member

Ask my MacBook, iPhone, Steve Jobs or my wife!
    If it happens again, bring it in.

Make sure you back all of you **** up first though.

3. magicpinkdrink thread starter macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I think I'm going to take it in anyways, first chance I get...I just feel like it's too unreliable and what if it happens again and there's an emergency where I need my phone? For what I paid for this thing, I shouldn't be worrying all the time that it will brick itself for no reason with no warning. I'm just concerned that if I take it in and it's working they won't swap it, and the closest Apple store is an hour away.

And don't worry, I try to back it up once a day or so...yes I am ocd :)

4. jbussiere macrumors member

did you bring it back in? This happened to me on Sunday and then again this morning. I CANNOT turn it back on unless I plug it in, when I plug it in it shows almost full battery both times.

I also baby mine so I don't know what's going on....

Any help?

5. magicpinkdrink thread starter macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I haven't had a chance to take it in yet due to some scary health problems with my husband, and so far it's only done it one more time. Hopefully I can take it soon. Glad to see I'm not the only one though, my husband just thought I was crazy!

6. 610nano macrumors newbie

This is happening to me, but now my phone won't turn on unless I have it plug in. And if I have it plug in, it is at the activation screen!! I did nothing to this phone last app I installed was word with friends 3 months ago!!