iPhone 4 Randomly wipes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by markham82, Feb 9, 2011.

1. markham82 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 appears to have randomly wiped itself. I woke up this morning and it was fine. I put it down and went into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. When I came out, the phone was displaying the logo indicating I should connect the phone to iTunes. When I did, sure enough iTunes asked me to restore from a backup, and the phone had reverted back to it's out of the box state. It's almost as if someone had initiated a remote wipe. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea why this would happen?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have it set to wipe after 10 failed passcode attempts?

3. markham82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I don't have a passcode set up for the lock screen.

4. markham82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok the mystery has been solved. So my phone syncs with my company's corporate Exchange server. Our admin was on there this morning messing with something, and accidentally initiated a remote wipe. Apparantly you can do that from an Exchange server, don't need MobileMe or anything.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep, that's one of the big features that Apple implemented to try and gain corporate acceptance for the iPhone. At least your admin has proved it works...

6. markham82 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, yeah. Now I'm glad actually because our company has a Verizon contract, so I'm hoping to get a Verizon iPhone through them and dump AT&T.