Iphone 4 rattle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sandkicks, Jul 21, 2010.

1. sandkicks macrumors member

Does anyones sleep wake/ power on/off button rattle when shaken. mine does. it's annoying.

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Yep noticed that a few days ago on mine. Its annoying, but I don't plan to bring it back or anything like that. I came to the iPhone 4 from an LG Rumor, which was a piece of crap. I'll take a rattling sleep button over that phone any day. :cool:

3. coasterider macrumors regular

Yes. My first iP4 had this, the lock button was very loose. My second one was very solid when I first got it but its starting to move a little bit now, really odd.

4. trssho macrumors 6502

Mine does it, and I will use that as my excuse to trade in if the phones ship with some hardware improvements.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mine rattles as well. I'm keeping it though because the rest of the phone is perfect. I've played around with my friends iPhones as well as the ones in stores and at least half have a loose/wiggly power button and/or home button and/or volume buttons.

6. owmygulay macrumors member

Mine does it too. I thought it was just the bumper so i wasn't worried about it but I took the bumper off and haven't used it in a couple day. It is kinda annoying.

7. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

mine does it, but i dont think its the lock button.

i held the lock button and still heard the rattle.

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Mine too rattled when I tried it after reading this post. However I don't ever shake my phone around violently so this is an issue...how? :confused:

9. andrewsd macrumors 6502

My roommate just looked at me like I was an idiot as I was over in the kitchen shaking my phone. No rattle but at times I suspect my back glass to "shift" it's odd. No real problems though. Signal is great too!

10. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Its not an issue, thankfully this is (only) the first thread about it.

11. BrEEdAA macrumors member

BrEEdAA

Mine only rattles when Ive got the bumper on, take that off and its fine, must be the raised buttons on it

12. zulumonk macrumors member

I just bought mine today and didn't notice the rattling until 4 hours later. It sounds like it's coming from near the camera. I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't affect any of the functionality of the phone.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I think this is normal. If you consider the fact that we press this button on a daily basis a good 20 times, it makes sense that it would eventually rattle.

14. Pepper Pot macrumors member

I don't think it's the Sleep/Wake button, to me it sounds like it's coming from the Ring/Silent button - infact when I hold the Ring/Silent button in place it stops rattling.

15. OUTofPRINT macrumors newbie

I've seen a ton of threads about this, it's the autofocus lens. Apparently it's an unavoidable
    effect of using an autofocus camera and they all do it. And please search first, these get annoying after the 6 or 7th thread.

16. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I didn't think nor know that it was the autofocus. To be honest, it shouldn't be doing that. However, I know that the sleep/wake and the volume buttons do the "rattle" noise.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Actually all that I have tested do it. About 30 total from three different apple stores. The auto focus lens is the culprit. In fact, There are 4 guys at work that still have 3GS (which also had the auto focus) and sure enough, they do it as well. It is definitely normal.

18. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

That is truly interesting. I am a photography, so I understand that lenses do move around and it makes perfect sense, to be honest. I had just never heard it on my phone and I am afraid to shake it so much. I will take your word for it.

EDIT: I just gently moved it around and I could in fact here the lense. You are right.

19. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

The volume buttons on my bumper rattle. It did not do it when it was new, but only after I peeled it off about 10 times.

My iPhone itself does not rattle.

20. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

It might be the culprit on your device, at least. My first iphone has a rattle that was definitely not coming from any of the buttons. The genius could not get his to rattle and could hear mine rattle perfectly. In any case, he was adamant that he get me a new one, and I cannot for the life of me make the new one rattle. So there. Also, my gf's doesn't make the rattle but about 7/10 of the display models at my local store do. For whatever it's worth.

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

FWIW, I never hear/heard the camera rattle from shaking it. I first noticed it setting it down on my desk at work. after that I was investigating and If you gently tap on the back of the phone near the camera lens you hear it. If i shake it I dont hear it at all. (However, recently my sleep/wake button has become loose and rattles when I shake it.):(

22. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I can say that my phone has this problem as well. When it is sitting on a table or something and vibrates, it has a distinct rattle sound. From what I can tell, it is coming from the silence/vibrate switch. It is quite annoying, and I never noticed a similar issue on previous iPhone generations.

23. hector500 macrumors newbie

I have the rattle and its really annoying

Folks,

I have had the Iphone 4 for 10 days now and this rattle has appeared. I use the phone in the car to listen to music and i hear the rattle over and above the music. You may say, I should turn up the volume but thats not the point. It should not rattle. You don't pay £500 for a rattle. Apple pride themselves on thier products being solid. Why would they have invested in the glass development. I am sending mine back i'm afraid. I hope my replacement doesn't rattle because apart from that the phone is amazing.
    H