Iphone 4 Rear Glass Replacement - Apple Confirmed Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lingham, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Lingham macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Remember me saying about my scuffed glass on the phone. Well I took it to the genius bar at apple today and asked if it would affect the camera. He said he wasnt too sure but unlikely. I asked how much a replacement glass would be and he said £25 and he said its up to you because there is a cost its down to you if you want to get it done so I asked if he had any in stock and he said he thought so but wanted to check.

He phoned upstairs and he said he didnt have any in stock but would have to order one and took all my details etc. He said he would also wave the cost as well because I had to come back so im getting it replaced FOC!!

So there you go it has been confirmed by Apple the cost is £25

I would post a picture of my paperwork to show you but as mines getting done FOC it shows £0.00 lol

2. elwood2 macrumors member

About $40 USD. That's the same price as the cheap plastic ones that are coming out of HK at the moment.

The bad thing about the plastic replacements is that they don't have a flash diffuser and it makes all your pictures you take with the flash basically useless.

3. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

What are the chances of recieving a white backplate? :p

4. bobdjojo macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, only i had a permanent scuff on the glass directly in front of the camera. All images were foggy and resembled .5mp camera.

Went to Apple store and had it replaced for free.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thank you for reporting back.

This s good to know.

6. iphonefouruser macrumors newbie

worth adding that a lot of the back covering cases out there can also cause issues when the flash is used (despite the camera lens and flash being unobstructed or covered by the case). the flash light reflects off the raised part of the protective case and can cause unwanted effects when image is taken. choose cases carefully if flash photography is a use you put your phone to

7. calvy macrumors 65816

I know you say confirmed, but man I would like to hear that from a reputable source at some point. I may call my store tomorrow.

8. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

I would happily post my paperwork had it had a cost on it lol but as shows £0.00 then its very hard to confirm :p

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Seriously. Wouldn't mind picking up a white one.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

I should clarify. I'm not saying you are lying. I'd just like to see something more widely confirmed I guess. I forgot to call my store today, will try tomorrow. I really hope this is the case. And I hope I can one day put a white back on mine for this cheap.

11. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

I dont know about the white back as I didnt ask, I just wanted a like for like so the white might be more expensive.

The reason for my post is the mention of $29 in the US by another poster and i wanted clarification of this in the UK. £25 seems a bargain!

12. icecavern macrumors regular

Interestingly that's cheaper than buying one from ipaqrepairs.co.uk I wonder how much apple will charge for a front glass replacement.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

$199 because digitizer is included.

14. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

15. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

Apple stores have been replacing back glass on iPhone 4 for $29 US since 8/24. Front glass replacements for cracked displays is still $199 since it's a whole unit replacement. Display replacements for 3G/3GS is now $99. Liquid damage or OOW replacements is still $199.

16. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but no-one has ever been given a confirmed Uk price which is what I have now...

17. matty2345 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine has cracked the back of her iPhone 4, so I called my nearest Apple store who checked with the Genius Bar about the £25 replacement and they have told me this is incorrect. They will just do a full phone replacement and charge around £139. Has anyone actually had it done for £25??

18. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Tell her to make an appointment with the genius bar. I was given £25 and someone else on here was given $29 in the states.

What they told you is wrong mate

19. morepower macrumors newbie

Just phoned the Highcross Apple store in Leicester to find out.. IF the back can be done it is £25, I broke mine today and they do not have glass in stock so I am going to have it done in a week or so but they will do glass only if they can. If there is more damage then it is a replacement at £149.00. But they dont like to quote over the phone and on line. Through the Apple site they will not give you the Glass only price and do not mention that a glass swap is possible.

20. morepower macrumors newbie

An Update.... I took mine to get the rear glass replaced and the Genius bar in Leicester did the swap and I was charged a sum total of £0.00.... Yep it was done for free.... Not sure why but it was free but I was not going to argue... LOL