iPhone 4 rear glass replacement

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tag86, Oct 6, 2011.

1. tag86 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of replacing the back glass on my iPhone with one of these metal housings instead.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260761036219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone used them? Are they any good and do they affect the signal strength (both cellular and WiFi/Bluetooth)? Also can Apple tell if you have removed the glass panel even if you put it back before taking it to them?

I also came across this stick on cover which just goes over the glass. This would not involve any modification. It doesn't look quite as good (in my opinion). Would this be a better option?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180712380194?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

3. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I got one like the first one, except it was carbon fiber(like) from china. They sold the ones you posted, so, I would assume they are made by the same company. I loved the look and feel of the back, and the camera worked ok too, but.....my reception disappeared. I have the "death grip" problem where I live and can my it lose service by holding it, and after installing the replacement back, I lost all service. I ended up buying a $30 stock-replacement cover and my signal returned to normal. I was disappointed but they are cheap enough to give it a shot.

Haven't ever seen the second one, might work ok, looks pretty cool how it wraps around.

4. tag86 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a bit concerning regarding the reception. I generally have good reception around me so it may not be such an issue. Since both designs are made out of metal there would probably be an issue with both.

What about regarding the warranty on the phone for the first case? Is there are Void if removed sticker that comes off if you take the back cover off?

The only thing that I don't like about the second design is the definition of the brushed look. I also like the beveled edges on the first design.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have one from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com/hk-electronic2010/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Metal Back Housing Cover Case Assembly Iphone 4G Black

It works just fine, no noticeable signal loss or any anything.

I love the MAS Design Titanium ones. I may get one for the iPhone 4S, I didn't want to get one for my iPhone 4 and have it not fit the new iPhone when it comes out. Otherwise I almost bought one a few weeks ago.

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

theres no trace or sticker... only thing is you might want to get replacement screws.. the pentalobe screws get stripped very easily.

----------

that is why you need to get a proper one like MAS which is made exactly like stock so they have rubber and plastic around and etc which prevents metal to metal contact... I am assuming with yours there must be a short/connection somewhere..

7. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I'm sure it wasn't made correctly or it would have worked but I can't see spending $80 for a back. The MAS one better work for that much money.

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

its not a film or a thin piece of foil its actually a pretty hefty piece of titanium...you need to hold it then you can see the diff, for that price I think you pay for what you get .. in this case you actually get a bit more. the way they package the thing with a pouch to keep your old back, screw driver... screws... screen protectors etc... I thought it was well worth the money.

I would never buy a $10 or ebay back, it just looks cheap.. does not do it justice...the phone I mean :) to each his own I guess