iPhone 4 - 'Rebuilding Library' - Then crashes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Steadimac, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Steadimac macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have resorted to posting on here as I have tried absolutely everything that I can personally think of. I'm not a complete iPhone 'I know absolutely everything' but I know enough to to solve problems (most of the time) without bothering anyone :)

However, a couple of days ago I tried to open my photos app and I got the screen 'Updating Library - Please Wait' With a little blue loading bar at the bottom stating 'Rebuilding Library'. When the blue bar got to about half way of loading the app would crash and go back to the home screen. It also does exactly the same thing with the camera app.

I have reset absolutely everything on the phone, installed the recent software update, reset settings etc etc.

Even when I connect my phone to my MacBook Pro, the phone doesnt even register in Image Capture, iPhoto or Aperture. It still however, registers as the phone in iTunes and I can select all the regular things and play with everything as normal. I have restored from a backup from June but that means I have lost about 400 photos i took with my iPhone 4. I still have a backup from 3 days ago, but that seems to contain the problem that is making the photos and camera app crash.

Does anyone have any solutions to this? The only thing I can think of is that there is one photo corrupting the whole rebuilding process and I can't get into the phone to delete that, or do some trial and error.

Any help is greatly appreciated as my photos and camera app is rendered useless on this 500 Pound phone! :(

Cheers

Jamie

2. husanh macrumors newbie

you need to instal pc suit for iphone
    files>user>library>media>DCIM>choose the last photos or videos than delete them

3. Cruz123 macrumors newbie

Same Here

I have the same issue however, I have a 3GS iphone and upgraded it with the new IOS4 software. Also I am using Windows 7, how do I fix this issue with both the photo album app and camera app crashing when it tries to rebuild the library?? Thanks Alex

4. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

That just happened to me today on my 3GS, running iOS4. I was looking at my photos when I got the "Please Wait Updating Library" screen. Afterward, the majority of my photos and videos were gone. Deleted. Into oblivion.

I've never seen this screen come up and have been an iPhone owner since day 1. Since moving to iOS4, my iPhone has been very buggy. The worst performing iPhone OS to date, in my opinion.

Edit: Plugged my iPhone back in to my computer an opened iPhoto. Despite them NOT showing up in my iPhone's photo library, iPhoto shows that they're still on my iPhone. To be safe, I've backed up all the photos to iPhoto first before resetting my iPhone.

5. ageyer macrumors newbie

The same happened to my 3GS with iOS4.0.2 not jailbroken. After the first crying I discovered, that the pictures actually are on the phone, just the Photo app does something wrong with the indexing (perhaps a badly saved JPG file was a problem.). I successfully recovered all pictures with Picasa. iPhoto could save but could not delete the bad JPG files, so they remained in the index as well. Picasa could delete the bad files.
    What I could do is to load back all the pictures from iPhoto via iTunes. So nothing lost in this case.

6. msoloatl macrumors newbie

Fix for updating library crash

You must first disable the automatic synch feature in Itunes by pressing the "commmand" and "option" buttons while you are hooking up the Iphone to the Mac.

Open Preview on the Mac

Hit "File Import from Iphone 4"

Select the pictures you want and delete them all

This will fix the problem

Unplug the Iphone and it works

Next time, it will start synching again without any problems.

7. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

That happened all the time on my 3G after updating to 4.0. You need to restart the phone and that should fix the problem. It did for me.

8. The Empress macrumors newbie

Has anyone found out how to fix this problem?? I have done a reset, restore, unsynced photos & resynced photos and nothing has worked. If anyone has any other options/possible fixes i could try please let me know!!!

9. quinesm macrumors newbie

iphone updating library crash

The same has happened to me
    The solution is to download phone view for mac which as a trial is free from the internet.
    Install this on your pc and then use the application to import all of the photos from camera roll to iphoto on your mac
    Then use phone view to delete the photos on your iphone
    This worked for me
    I think it happens if you have too many photos on camera roll or possible a corrupted file or not enough memory
    Anyway try it

10. scm0583 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and after trying everything here above.
    I restore my iphone. Then instead of rebuilding it with the latest update i chose one just before. I dont have the pictures that I had before, but at least my camera is working now again. I sync it and i got my music back and all my applications. I chose not to sync pictures as probably one of those was corrupted and started all this mess.. Anyways give it a try.

11. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

A similar thing has happened to me (not as bad as you guys, but...)

Basically, whenever I take a screenie, it doesn't save to Camera Roll anymore :( Using iTunes, I started making my own little folders for Photos (Photo Lib, Camera Roll, Funny Pics, Family etc) but apparently the iPhone doesn't like that, so now it's being funny with me.

Grrrr! IOS4.2 is terrible!

NB - Anyone know where my screenies might be going? Or is there a screenie app I can use?

12. The Empress macrumors newbie

On either of these, how do you delete them, because I have tried both ways and can't figure out how to delete them off my phone. Thanks in advance.

13. weddo macrumors newbie

weddo

hey

The same has happened to me
    but all The solutions u said it guys are not working with me :(
    anyone know any other solution to solve my problem :(

14. The Empress macrumors newbie

K fixed mine by erasing everything off of my phone and then set it up as a new iPhone. Then you can sync everything back from your computer... except your pictures because that is what corrupted it in the first place.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The moral of this story is, don't store your photos in the camera roll. Download them to your computer, and if you want them on your phone, sync them back to the Photo Album on the phone using iTunes.

16. EvilXT macrumors newbie

Photo Library Fix

I had the same problem for a while. I couldn't fix it with any of the solutions posted. Just when I was about to give up I remembered this app I had a while ago called "swapcameraroll"(from cydia). It gives you a second photo library. I installed the app and switched camera rolls and now my camera finally works again!! Also I don't know if this matters but before I tried this I had deleted the last videos and pictures that I took with Ifile. Hope this helps!