Iphone 4 reception and speaker quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kinobi, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Kinobi macrumors member

I still have Blackberry Tour and I can hear quite a bit of difference and superior sound/voice quality when having a conversation using BB vs Iphone 3gs.

Still waiting on IP4 but is Iphone 4 comparable to BB tour now? Less muffled?

what is your take?

Thank you

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

+1 anyone with an iphone 4 already can you post a speaker comparison

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

From Engadget:

Speaker / earpiece

We've never had a particular problem with the speaker or earpiece on previous iPhones (well, the speakerphone has never been loud enough for our taste), but it's obvious that Apple has done some work on getting both call quality and speakerphone quality up. Beyond making the phone considerably and consistently louder in both places, the clarity of the iPhone 4 is noticeably improved from the previous generation. If you read our review, then you know that we thought Motorola's original Droid had some of the best sounding components we've heard on a phone, and the new iPhone definitely gives them a run for the money. The first time we took a call on the device we were walking down New York's extremely noisy Fifth Avenue, and right away it was obvious that the secondary, noise-canceling mic was doing some heavy lifting, at least on the other end of the line. Even though sirens were wailing behind us and we were surrounded by chatty shoppers, it was easy to hear our party on the other end, and they could hear us perfectly (unless we were lied to). There's clearly a difference between the sound in the earpiece on the new phone versus the 3GS, and it ranks highly against newer competition like the EVO. As far as the speakerphone goes, it gets loud without distorting or producing cutting midrange, a problem we've noticed on quite a few recent phones. We'd liken the iPhone 4 in quality to something along the lines of the BlackBerry Bold -- a bearable tone even when it gets hot.

4. Kinobi thread starter macrumors member

so I guess there is a hope that mic is improved..any other opinions?

5. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I really would like to ask one more question about the speakerphone.

Would you say it is, in fact, louder than its predecessor? More specifically, the 3G?

This is something that has always bothered me about my iPhone. I never really realized it until I've heard how quiet the damn thing is. :)