Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I just got off the phone with apple about my iPhone bars dropping. He claimed it was a software issue and that it will never actually effect calls coming in or dropping while on the phone. He said the apple engineers have been looking into this and have come to that conclusion. We did some testing for an hour or so and while i could never get it to say "no service" I was consistently able to keep it at one bar with no issues in call quality or receiving & making calls.

...so according to apple, since this is "software" related, making your phone say "no service" will not effect your calls.

My question... Has anyone had your phone say "no service" while holding the bottom of the phone... Did this actually effect your calls or is apple right and it's just a software display issue with the phone?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've never gotten "no service" but ocassionally 0 bars. The other problem I've noticed is my phone picks up Edge more now where as my 3G phone was always 99% of the time staying on 3G.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
The only time I had "No Service" over the last 24 hours was early this morning. But that was due to problems with a couple of AT&T towers. Even when I was down to zero bars.

Loiterer

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
When my bars are down to zero, I can't make calls. If I'm already on a call when I put my hand over the antenna, the call will actually drop.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
alright, my phone does it too now. LOL...you have press it REALLY hard to cause the short on the two antennas. The right hand doesn't cause any reception issues.

Funny thing, it only happens AT WORK. when i'm at home, i don't get this reception issue. and how I hold my iphone, naturally, i'm barely touching the antennas with alot of skin.

I just noticed that

eo6564

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
alright, my phone does it too now. LOL...you have press it REALLY hard to cause the short on the two antennas. The right hand doesn't cause any reception issues.

Funny thing, it only happens AT WORK. when i'm at home, i don't get this reception issue. and how I hold my iphone, naturally, i'm barely touching the antennas with alot of skin.

I just noticed that

Same thing happens to me. At home I lose the signal when holding it in my left hand. Here at work I have no problems. I don't lose any bars. Weird. I wonder if it depends on how close to a cell tower you are.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I made some calls last night and made sure that my hand was touching the bands by holding it in my left hand and never dropped a call. I see no problems with this phone so far.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
From the sounds of things apple knew this was an issue with other phones, so they couldve just put the antennas on the top, and the top of the sides.

Not on the bottom where all lefties hold it, and some righties fingers end up.

It doesn't bother me though, I guess I got a good i4 :)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
The reception issue has certainly caused dropped calls for me. I've dropped 5 or 6 calls already (including one today) because of the way I hold the phone and it's not like I'm trying to short out the antenna or whatever. It's just the way I hold the phone.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
You're right, it's not dropping calls... it's preventing them from even happening in the first place.

a3silver

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
You're right, it's not dropping calls... it's preventing them from even happening in the first place.

mine's dropping call in my house, where my 3G very very rarely did.. And it's in a case so I don't see attenuation or shorting of the antenna as the issue..

Alive

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
I am one of the few people who lives in a place (Memphis, TN) where AT&T seems to have excellent service. Maybe it's fewer smartphones per capita - i dunno.

I've always said that even if I could switch to another carrier, I wouldn't. ATT has been nothing but great for me here.

I cannot replicate the bars dropping like people are doing all over youtube and here.

BUT, I am dropping calls LIKE CRAZY. I am used to the occasional dropped call from previous iPhones, but I'm dropping every other call I make since activating it wednesday. Any call lasting more than 2 mins is doomed. So I would have to disagree with the OP here...

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Yeah, I spent three hours on AT&T and Apple tech support this morning because I am obsessed with watching my bars go up and down but my call experience is great. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kcgunner

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
Mine has to be one of the worst. I can go from a perfect signal (5 bars) to ZERO bars, and occasionally "No Service". I have had dropped calls and been unable to send or receive data. However, putting my phone in an old incipio case designed for my old 3G helps the problems a lot. It will usually split the difference and stay steady at 3 bars and does not drop calls or data. I don't know what to do. I already put my invisible shield on it, I hate to take it back. :(

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
The reception issue has certainly caused dropped calls for me. I've dropped 5 or 6 calls already (including one today) because of the way I hold the phone and it's not like I'm trying to short out the antenna or whatever. It's just the way I hold the phone.
My experience has been over 12 dropped calls with my iPhone 4 this morning, while using my AT&T BlackBerry in the same time period, all calls clear & trouble free.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I just got off the phone with apple about my iPhone bars dropping. He claimed it was a software issue and that it will never actually effect calls coming in or dropping while on the phone. He said the apple engineers have been looking into this and have come to that conclusion. We did some testing for an hour or so and while i could never get it to say "no service" I was consistently able to keep it at one bar with no issues in call quality or receiving & making calls.

...so according to apple, since this is "software" related, making your phone say "no service" will not effect your calls.

My question... Has anyone had your phone say "no service" while holding the bottom of the phone... Did this actually effect your calls or is apple right and it's just a software display issue with the phone?

Your statement would be nice if it were true. Problem is, I have checked using speed test app and basically it will cut out your data almost completely. I have run it back and forth an I will get ~2500kbps (who says AT&T has crappy 3G:rolleyes:) and when I hold my phone in my left hand covering that area, it will get ~200-300kbps or it will fail entirely. This is not a software problem where it is not showing the correct bars...The only way I think it could be software, would be if it is their new system they use that changes what signal they use based on speeds.....especially since i dont seem to have this problem at work, but i am affected at home and even in the apple store.

Unfortunately,
I think they have a hardware problem. I just stopped by my apple store after work to ask and see if there was any word, and they hade nothing they could say. Only to wait a few days and apple would announce something. I even tried some of there demo units and they did the same thing. We will see.....:(

schoff0310

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Southeast Florida
I had to hold my phone really really tight and one bar dropped (the tallest). That is it....and I had to hold it for about 5 minutes for that to happen. Have not dropped one call, but ATT has a very strong signal here in Delray Beach, Fl....better than Verizon and Sprint together.

I bought a cool case at the ATT store yesterday, its black rubber and fits very snugly around the phone...made by INCIPIO.
I love the case and I think this will help you all who are having a problem.

I love the phone...FAST and the battery is much better than my 3GS.
and the front loading camera........!!!!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
here's another update.

Every needs to carefully factor in their location. I'm in a signal area that has some bad reflection points. I average 4 to 5 bars but sometimes, it drops to 1-2 bars. This happens with my old phone. The building is made of glass with metal frame. Everyone should be away that different constructed buildings affect signal quality. Verizon and sprint phones get 1-2 bars here.

That said. It seems to be location related.

observation one) inside the office where there are alot of reflection points, i saw the signal drop using my left hand (only).

observation two) I decided to take the phone holding with my left hand outside and the signal went back up to 5 bars regardless of you holding it down.

There are more factors that just a short circuit. The short is causing some dbm loss but it looks like the system is trying to find another tower once a certain threshold is hit. With a building that has a lot of reflection points, you can see that regardless of you hold it, it the signal fluctuates....2,3,4,2,3,4,5,1,2,2,3,4,4,4,4,4,4.

In my house, I don't have this signal reception drain issue.

those are my thoughts.

bwlucas

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
See, I thought I was having this issue, but I realized that for me, it's only when I'm indoors with a weak signal to begin with. Then when I hold the phone, it can change to "no service" or "searching."

When outside or around town, with a full AT&T signal everywhere I've been going, no matter how I hold the phone, I don't seem to lose any bars.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
There has never been a strong correlation between the signal I'm actually getting and the signal my iPhone 3G shows that I'm getting, it always seems to lag one way or the other... so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of software issue.

I wonder if the "hand on the antennae signal issue" is more about the phone's radio getting confused and dialing down the power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.