iPhone 4 reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brunetmj, Aug 14, 2010.

1. brunetmj macrumors member

I know there are tons of posts on this topic but after searching I cannot find an answer to my question from this slant. I am also aware of the bar contoversy.
    I live in a rural area where two bars would be considered a good day.
    Would the 4 with it's external antenna do better than say a 3GS with improveing my reception? ( assuming it is working as it should)

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Bottom line from my view is that the 4th's antenna is more sensitive then what the 3GS or the other iPhones had before it.

On its own (without touching it) it could provide you with a better signal, that might raise it a bar then again it might not, since the tool for reading signals that used to ship with the OS has been removed you need a good improvement in signal to notice on the bar read out.

When your holding the phone however is where the fun comes in, since the antenna is more sensitive to the signal it is also more sensitive to interference, such as that hand of yours.

If you are in an area like me where you get 1-3 bars 3G and 4-5 Bars 2G you should be OK, even with that I use a case with my phone.

If that 2 Bars is 2G coverage however you might want to stick with the 3GS.

3. brunetmj thread starter macrumors member

4. CDew macrumors member

Maybe

When driving up US 276 into the mountains, I might get a signal once or twice as I approached Ceasars Head with the 3G. With the 4 I get a signal at a dozen points. Between the mountain itself and the heavy tree cover - enough to interrupt both XM and GPS signals - it's not usable, but it's enough to convince me that the reception on the 4 is better.