iPhone 4 recessed home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Aug 7, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I can feel the edge of the front glass from hitting the home button, it doesn't feel smooth and seemless like it does on my mom and dad's iPhone 4's or most demo units I've played with. It still works all the time though, and doesn't have any give, so should I bother? Everything else I can think of works perfectly fine with this phone so I think it might just be OCD.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It's a slight defect. Mine has a tiny defect too where the Volume buttons move around a touch, but nothing severe.

Apple wont really replace it unless it's an issue that prevents you from using the phone properly.

You could always say that you're worried it will cut your thumb/finger because of the gap, though.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah I don't really mind that much as long as you don't think it'll effect the functionality of the home button over time?

I think my 3GS was like that too.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

My 3GS was like that, but my iPhone 4 isn't. I guess it's just a manufacturing defect.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it's definitely OCD. Don't let it control your life.

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mines like that also. I prefer the seamless smooth home button since it feels nicer when sliding your thumb across it but my co-worker has a seamless one and he actually likes the recessed home button. Thinks the recessed has a better feel since you can actually feel the home button. Oh well. :rolleyes:

8. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah i mean the nice thing about recessed is mine doesn't wiggle. A lot of the seamless ones seem loose (but not all).

9. Doodlesquad macrumors newbie

Same here

Maybe its pretty normal, I didn't notice that on the 3GS. Also it seems to disappear when I'm in cold places like 60s. Not too bothered by it though.

10. rk1991 macrumors regular

i also noticed it on mine but since its my first iphone i never thought anything about it. I checked out some of my friends and theirs is flush with the glass. I plan on taking mine in to the apple store to get it checked out cause mine is only 2 days old.

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That isn't terrible. If you drop your iPhone, the home button will be safe ;).

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I've held and used many iPhones, and I've never noticed one that wasn't recessed!

I haven't really looked for it though either.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Stop pressing the button just to feel the hard edge...I know you are doing it as I type.:p

14. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I actually have grown to like it, no wiggle and it makes your thumb fit into that nook. Plus, it makes my iPhone more unique.

15. rk1991 macrumors regular

really. i actually dont like it at all. it was ok at first but then i realized that its not normally like this. Now it just annoys me. I cant seem to get used to it and im not usually someone who is goes crazy over these things.\

edit:
    I just came back from the apple store with a new iphone with a proper home button. I just told the guy at the genius bar the button was recessed. He felt it and then checked his own and was like yea its too recessed ill swap it out. :)

16. mullets macrumors newbie

i have the same "issue", but would never dream of trading mine in for a refurbished unit from apple. if apple replaced with brand new non refurb units, i'd do it, but thats just not the case.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The left side of my home button has always been a HAIR more recessed than the right side. You can't tell at all by looking at it-- only by feel. Doesn't bother me or hinder function, so there's nothing to worry about.

18. netaddict macrumors newbie

No such luck

I just got the iPhone 4S with the same problem. Went to the Genius bar, and the guy I worked with was almost mocking at me. He wouldn't replace it (I checked and they have one in stock), because he says there is no "functional" defect -- despite me telling him I have multiple "i" devices and they all have flush Home buttons. He told me to go back to Verizon to replace it if I wanted, knowing very well Verizon does not have one in stock. I feel pretty humiliated. :mad: