Iphone 4 recovery mode with no backup or sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hairyone, Jul 22, 2011.

1. hairyone macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I have a problem. I just got my new second hand iphone 4 off ebay, opened it up and started playing with it. I installed itunes from the apple site and was going through my music collection when i noticed itunes say there was an update. So, okay, why not I said, have it up to date....... WRONG!!!!

Fail. I didn't do a backup thinking apple would have a fall back upgrade system in place but alas it's not to be.

No backup and no sim any ideas welcomed. Please help

Cheers for now
    hairy

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Can you explain what failed?

3. hairyone, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

hairyone thread starter macrumors newbie

What is happening is the phone is displaying the itunes with usb logo.

itunes is saying that it has found a phone in recovery mode and prompts me to restore the phone before using itunes. I follow the directions I restore.

When all is done it says: the iphone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).

I have not done a backup prior to update!

cheers
    hairyone

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try the steps here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error6

5. hairyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that. I am willing to jailbreak it just to use it so far a very dear paper weight. Got this because I have the most laggy Samsung Galaxy S ever made, but hey it works!!!!!

6. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Try a pay as u go sim. There are easier ways. Or get a sim from someone you know it's a ip4 and pop it in, activate it and then give them back the sim.

7. hairyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea thank you. I will get back to you with how I go later. Must get back to DIYing or "She who must be obeyed" will not be happy.

Cheers all
    hairyone