iPhone 4 recurring signal drops

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pebbaroo, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Pebbaroo macrumors newbie

Hi guys

In December I received a new iPhone 4 to replace my initial one that had a faulty home button. Since getting the new phone, I've been having massive problems with signal dropping when I'm at work!

Whenever I try to do anything with the phone at work, like making/receiving phone calls, texts, and email, both my 3G and my normal phone signal will drop. It goes onto 'searching' and reconnects within 15 seconds, but this basically happens every single time I try to do any of those things. This means I can't make or receive any phone calls because they get cut off after 10 seconds, and with texts it takes about 3 tries before it finally sends them.

Now, I'm with Three and they have told me it isn't a coverage problem and that the coverage in that area is good (seeing as I never had these issues with my other iPhone, I believe them). The strange thing is that it only happens when I'm in my work area, never at home.

Since my other phone never had this problem, I have already tried to return this phone to Apple but they told me they couldn't reproduce the fault so they have sent it back to me again without fixing it or even looking at it.

I've tried restores, turning off loads of functions like location services and sim pin. The phone is updated to 5.0.1 and I just don't know what could be going on?! Does anyone have a clue? :confused:

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Reset Network settings?

Also, have your restores always been from backup? This could bring about issues.

3. Pebbaroo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, tried that as well as a full restore to factory settings of the phone. Tried restores from backup AND setting up completely new iPhone :(

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Make an appointment at an Apple Store and specifically request for them to check your diagnostics data. There has to be a least a few catalogs of this signal dropping in there.

5. Pebbaroo thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right they are definitely being logged. I don't have an Apple store near unfortunately so I can't easily get to one.

Looking through the reports myself, nearly every single one of them mention a 'modem reset' which I'm guessing is the problem. Not sure whether that brings me closer to a solution :confused:

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Well that sort of does in that you can isolate the problem to being either the baseband chip, the wifi chip, or both. Since both are soldered to the logic board, I would consider calling Apple Customer Service and Support and see what they would recommend. They might ship you a box for you to send in your iPhone while simultaneously sending you a replacement. Not sure though, as I've never personally experienced an issue with my iPhone where I've been hours away from an Apple store.

On a side note, however, you could call up Three and request them to look into the tower settings for your work area, as well as the settings for your iPhone. Do any of your coworkers experience this issue? You could also try a SIM replacement or even just reseat it in the tray.