iPhone 4 refurb vs refurb with cosmetic damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcole, Dec 27, 2010.

1. kcole macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My SO is wanting an iPhone 4 now after seeing mine. Not surprised.

Anyway, att offers an iPhone 4 refurb with "minor cosmetic damage". What do we think this consists of? We figure it ruled out anything wrong with the screen (scratches etc).

She is really leaning toasted a refurb because she is hard on phones... But she really wants one and is threatening to go buy one right now (I do so love my impulse buyer)! So should I tell her to have patience and order one from att online?

2. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I know this not what you are looking for but if your SO is such an impulse buyer, don't just walk away from her, RUN! Leave it to the next guy to pay her bills.

3. kcole thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Toward... Not toasted. Damn you Steve Jobs and damn you fake nails!

4. kcole thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, firstly, I'm a girl. Secondly, she isnt an all the time impulse buyer, but when it is something she really wants, she is pretty good at talking herself in to buying. However this time it would be a valid buy. She is using a blackberry pearl that freezes with every scroll of it's little wheel... Time to retire that puppy!

Oh and ;) we share the bills or work it off in trade.

(I'm kidding, no panties or boxers in a wad!)

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Well, AT&T's refurbs are usually returns, so they may have slight scratches on the back or on the antenna band. The best thing to do would be to ask to see it before you buy.

6. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

7. kcole thread starter macrumors newbie

How would this be possible? It is an online only "deal".

8. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Oh, I'm sorry... I totally overlooked that when I checked out the page...

I'm sure it's not going to be anything too noticeable, but personally, I wouldn't buy a second hand iPhone not refurbished by Apple. Especially when I couldn't check it out first.

But then again, I'm anal retentive about my gadgets. :D

9. kcole thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks.

Well, I just got through talking to ATT and they said that the refurb ones with minor cosmetic damage can have a "blemish" anywhere on the phone. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I wanted to know opinions, but it looks like ATT helped me make the decision!

Thanks to those that replied!

10. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

So, AT&T refurb is different from the Apple Service Center replacement that you get when you exchange your iPhone 4? You know, the one that came out from a black box instead of a retail box and have serial that starts with 5Kxxxxxxx?

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, they are very different. The AT&T "refurb" units are not Apple quality. They are customer returns that are just reset to factory settings and they don't come in an Apple box. AT&T has a third party repackage the units for resale at a discount. Sometimes the accessories are new/unused and sometimes "used" :eek: (think headphones...)

Apple black box units all have a new case, new battery and new front glass.

Dave

12. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

I don't know this. Thanks, Dave.

13. blazinz macrumors regular

have to say that ive now bought 4iphones to date that were refurbs not from apple but att. They were all in excellent condition. The only drawback was i didnt get the original boxes with them. But saved me a bunch of $$ !!:D

So maybe its hit or miss, the question is whats there return policy with refurbs purchased online..?

14. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Same as any other phone and they come with a 1 year warranty.

Why not just spend the extra 20 bucks and get the refurbished iPhone 4 for 99 bucks? And yes it's tested and re-boxed.

15. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

When it says 'Cosmetic Damage' Does it mean a few scratches on the back? Cause if its something like a scratched screen, that'd annoy me no end and I'd regret the purchase.

See if you can get the term elaborated.