IPHONE 4 Replacement Back Panel (WHITE)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by appleboyy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 124151155 macrumors regular

Nope. To get a full black to white conversion you're looking at paying $300 or more, and some parts will be hard to find.
    Also be cautious of eBay ones which may be cheap fakies that are inferior quality.
    For a full conversion that will include everything except the flash diffuser (No spare parts of these yet) see http://whiteiphone4now.com/

Otherwise if you want a cheap (and possibly fake) back which may not protect your phone properly, and will only make the back piece white, go for the eBay one.

PS: The eBay auction makes no claims that it is a genuine Apple part, so don't expect it to be.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

So, I've seen the OP's eBay link to the fake white back panel, and while it looks decent (see picture #1), the ring around the camera doesn't look the same as others I've found there.

Alternatively, I saw this listing, but the price was over $60 before shipping. It mentions everything, including the glass and diffuser, and it looks identical to what the white model would look like (see picture #2). In regards to price, as a matter of fact, $60 appears to the bottom range for an "OEM" replacement, and it goes up to $100.

With enough searching, I found this listing. From the pictures, the camera ring looks like the OEM model, and though it's not specifically mentioned in the description, there appears to be a glass and square for the camera and a glass/diffuser for the flash. It looks as close to the OEM as possible (see picture #3). At $18.49 shipped, it seemed to be a no-brainer, so I ordered it.

I'll let you know how it goes when I receive it in 8-18 business days (yikes).

Attached Files:

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Anyone else doing this "mod" on their iPhone? Kinda excited, just got a shipment notification.

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'm interested, but Ima let you guys be the guinea pigs :D.

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I made the mistake of buying two glass backs WITHOUT the mount so they're basically useless as the mounting is sealed to the original glass. Does anybody know if there's an easy way to get around this?

6. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Ebay is selling backs with attached mounting posts, so they can be used to replace the stock back. The white one looks OK. There is no diffuser and you can see through part of it, but it otherwise looks good.

I also got a blue, silver and black backs. The mounting posts are plastic, and I could feel them break as I installed the screw, but they do not move.

Good for a different look, lighter phone and preserving the orig glass back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310242227329&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

7. fender57 macrumors 6502

What happens if the iPhone gets a little hot? How is reception? How does it work with the camera and flash?

8. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

No reception problems. It is plastic.

I don't take a lot of pix, but the couple I have taken look OK. Maybe others can tell us how important a flash diffuser is for pix. IDK.

Haven't noticed any heat issues yet.