iPhone 4 replacement has yellow tint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iLoveMyApple, Nov 30, 2010.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I got my iPhone 4 in July and 3 days ago the sleep/wake button got jammed. I made an appointment and went to the Apple Store and they gave me a replacement. On this replacement, I'm noticing a yellow tint that my other iPhone 4 didn't have. It's not that big of a deal and I'm not going to go make an appointment to get another replacement because of this but I'm just wondering, does it go away? I remember something being said about the adhesive that's used to hold the screen on not being fully dried, but this is a replacement iPhone and I've heard that they're usually refurbs.

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

This will not go away. This is a screen defect and you need to get your phone replaced ASAP. This will lower resale value. Apple produces a bunch of these yellow screen phones, I've been fighting them since the iPhone 3G. Trust me, it's not supposed to be like that. You should know, as you have experienced a nice clear display.

3. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I agree man, take it back. I had the same problem and just went back and replaced it.

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

my brother had the same issue, it will go away

you don't lose anything by keeping it a week or two

your warranty is 90 from the replacement or the length of the original warranty, whichever is longer

5. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

Im not sure if it actally does go away? When i was getting my iphone replaced i had my gf over and compared the screens just for fun and turning the brightness up all the way on both and you could clearly tell it was yellow, or not as vibrant as hers and i had it for 2 weeks or so. But now that i got my replacement iphone im glad i did have the faults with it so now i dont have any yellow tint or anything.

replace that butter loving iphone 4 and get a clear white iphone screen!

6. istarfly3r macrumors member

i got mine replaces too 2 weeks ago.. the 1st replacement was with yellow screen.. I took it back and got it replaced and the 2nd one is yellow too.. I stayed there and asked them to get me to see another one which is fine and i am using it now..
    It looks like lots of the replacement phone are with yellow screen.

7. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

I got a replacement a few months back and the screen had a yellow tint, it only seems to be when you have your iPhone tilted to the right. This isn't like the yellow blobs, it doesn't go away and it's annoying as hell.

8. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

Glad I found this thread. I will be sure to check out my i4 before I leave the store:cool:

9. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Yep my wife's phone has the yellow tint. It's too warm for me I like a cool white screen. Luckily she doesn't care or notice such things.

10. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Your replacement iPhone is defective. I would get it replace asap.

11. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

geez i guess i was lucky with my replacement iphone. my brand spankin new one in box screen was a warm yellow tint and my replacement phone has a cool white screen the way it was supposed to be.

its just me but if im paying for something that is this expensive, i want it hte way its supposed to be with little to no flaws at all. just my opinion :cool:

12. sic2five macrumors member

Slightly warm = variation. Piss yellow = defect. Disagree on the resale value though; anyone who is willing to buy a used phone on craigslist with possible scratches or cosmetic damage is likely to care less about screen tint.

13. haulis macrumors regular

14. pkwon macrumors newbie

Here is my story on this.

The yellow tint comes from the adhesive glue as it was talked about.

Now, 5 days ago, i got my phone replaced due to the home button not working. the replacement phone that I received had tint, along with the yellow band that is on the bottom running across the screen. So I used it for a few days thinking that this yellow tint would go away, but no, it did not. So I booked an appointment at the Genius bar. (And I'm very happy with the genius bar today because I set up an appointment at 3 pm, but I did not had to wait because I arrived 2:20 pm, right when I went to check in, I was immediately greeted by the genius).

anyways, I told the genius my issues, and he understood the quality issue that my phone was having so he was happy to replace my phone. While still at the genius bar, signing some paperwork, I asked to check the screen before leaving the store, so that it's less of an hassle. So I checked the screen on an empty safari browser. So far good go go, no more yellow band. I am satisfied with this phone but now I have to give it a week to test, especially battery.

Basically, the genius said, it is not normal that if you have yellow screen on your phone (or even yellow band). So here is my take, when you do receive a new iphone or replaced for some defect, check whether you have the yellow tint or not, right at the store, this way if you have one, ask for a replacement on the spot.

Upon receiving the replacement phone, I immediately checked the screen as said before, no sign of yellow tints.

So to my experience, everything went very smoothly and I am very satisfied with the results from them.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The screens do have some variation in color. If it's more yellow than usual though, it's defective. A little yellow is actually better than a cool blue, if you're talking about color accuracy.

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

Could anyone pleast post a pic? My iPhone that's been sent away for repair had a warmer screen compared to my brother's iPhone 4, but I wouldn't really call it "yellow". I'm confused in the classification of screens, the screens I've seen so far could be classified as "cool" and "warm", but not yellow imo. Or maybe I haven't seen a yellow one yet?

17. CZK macrumors 6502a

Pics please, i want to compare mine to yours.

18. loveman339 macrumors newbie

ok my phone was week 32. and it has the yellow tinted as well, but rumors said it will go away, but it DIDNT. so i went to the 2 different apple stores in vancouver.

first i went in, i told the guy in genius bar the problem and compare my phone with my fd's phone which is super white . (week30) . so the guy agree to change it for me. but he said he could only change it for me once, he took out the replacement, and he said i am not allowed to activate the phone to check it, as once i activate the phone , i need to take the replacement, and i can only get it replace once. it is week 47.

i didn't want to have the replacement without checking it's fine, then i went to another apple store. explain the problem, the guy in genius bar agree to have the phone replace and i can check before taking it. so here it come a week 47 iphone, it is yellow tinted. then i told him i wont take it , and asked him to get another one. he seemed not happy with it and said if he is going to open another one to check , i must take that phone regardless. without any choice i did anyway, and it is yellow tinted too.

my fd has the similar problem, he brought his phone to have it replace due to the yellow tinted problem, end up the replacement phone is worse than the original. I am not happy with it.

for people who have get a white flawless replacement iphone, could you tell me which week from serial code.

I can't believe, the sample size is , wk 32 (my phone), wk 42 (my fd phone), two from wk 45, and two from wk 47. THEY ARE ALL YELLOW TINTED!!

19. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

After exchanging my original, I had this problem, so I went in and told the genuis the screen had a yellow tint compared with the one I exchanged. He took the phone, turned the brightness up and whipped out a demo phone he had behind the counter, which had a slightly brighter, whiter display. He said, "I see what you mean" and broke out a phone from one of the draws. I asked if I could see this one first to see if it also had a yellow screen, and the guy said sure. He layed down the demo, the phone I was exchanging, and the replacement. He said he thinks the phone I had already has the best looking display, but the replacement was noticably more brighter, crisp, and less yellow, so I took that one. Not bad to deal with. I'm kinda surprised to hear these stories that people won't let customers look at one before they walk out of the store. Btw, serial number begins with 88040. It's not really a big deal, but going from a clean, crisp and bright screen to a dull and yellow one really bugged me. Funny thing is I ran into a friend who just picked up a new Iphone 4 and her screen was just like the one I had replaced, very yellow and dull. I think hers was a week 42.