iPhone 4 replacement problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ip4problem, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ip4problem, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

ip4problem macrumors newbie

Correcting the information because someone misread my thoughts. The glass of my phone shattered in a way it shouldn't have. I would pay the dues if I would've broken the phone by dropping it.

Getting the phone fixed in Helsinki would've been a pain in the ass because we don't have any official Apple Stores here - only companies that have a lisence to sell mac stuff.

Blah blash, as I was in NYC I decided to wait and go to Apple Store on 14th and have a meeting at the genius bar.

The people there were really helpful and decided to give me a new phone. At this point I asked about the operator lock because I had a foreign SIM but they said that shouldn't be a problem. The operation was quite swift and when we tried to activate the new phone at the store it didn't let us do that. The Genius Bar girl told me to call my local operator, which was out of the question due to the time difference. Getting my old phone back at this point was out of the question so I left.

When I finally got in touch with my operator the next day we realized that the phone is AT&T locked and that my operator couldn't help me with this. I felt stupid as I knew there could be a problem, I asked about it and yet I still got in the trap.

I had been given an iPhone, with all the necessary receipts, that I couldn't use.

I rushed through the main Apple store on 5th, was told to go to AT&T and yet I was told there's nothing anyone could do.

Now, I'm in Helsinki with a phone I can't use properly. I don't know how to reach Apple or AT&T from here and nobody seems to be able to fix my problem.

Any tips on how to conquer this absurd problem?

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Go to your operator, keep all the receipts and tell them to fix it. You bought a factory unlocked iPhone (is that right?) so they should supply you with one.

3. ip4problem, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

ip4problem thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

It's not really that simple. I'm currently on a plan with my phone and everything here takes two weeks. Wether it is a warranty issue or not.

I went to the US Apple Store because I figured they were the only one who'd actually help me because I had read about the glass breaking @ the forums and that the US stores would actually change them while waiting - even if I had to pay 99 USD for it.

The price itself is a non-meaningful thing to me - the two week wait is the bigger problem as I'd have to get a new phone for that time anyway.

I've been in touch with my operator but as the IMEI lock is from AT&T they said they couldn't do anything to help me.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Apple have the technical ability to unlock any phone, and it should have been their responsibility to replace the phone to same state that original was in, as the warranty is world wide. Thus apple should be the point of contact, as it was their mistake, not the phone providers.

5. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Don't you think it is pretty ignorant to assume that the Apple store in ANOTHER COUNTRY would be able to set you up the same way you were in your country? Seems to me you didn't think this though very well and i'm going to call Karma on this one because you should have paid the $ to replace the glass, but got greedy and thought that you could lie to the US Apple store and look what you got. I'm sure the phone just "shattered" on it's own. Good one.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

As noted, he DID query this with the store staff, noting it as a concern, and they assured him it was doable, but failed to actually do whatever was necessary ( probably dealt with so infrequently that not familiar with procedure ). Thus, they messed up, not him.

7. Gavernty macrumors 6502

people like you need to stop posting, read his first post again Mr. white knight, then ride away on the horse you rode in on

8. ip4problem thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

Edited the first posts because I didn't want to get the impression that I did all this because of the money. It's a phone that is paid for me by my job.

The only reason I wanted to get the thing fixed fast was because the finnish warranty system is really a pain in the ass due to the two week wait in everything.

Anyone know anyway to get in touch with Apple? I've tried to use the forms on the apple.com but they are a no go for this kind of situation.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'd probably try phone: http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd