Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airboy98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Texas
I got my iPhone 4 on launch date from an Apple store and noticed a couple of minor scratches on the bottom as soon as I took it out of the box along with the infamous antenna reception issue. Obviously I haven't taken it in yet to get replaced as I expect it to still be very busy, plus I don't know if they have enough stock to replace them.

Can anyone who has had their iPhone 4 replaced because of reception issues, cosmetic imperfections, etc. describe the experience they had? Did they just activate a new micro sim card in a new iPhone and de-activate the used one or did they actually take a new iPhone 4 out of the box and switch the micro sim? Thinking about doing this tomorrow so wondering what all will happen.

jasperk99

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I got mine replaced yesterday; the replacement was packaged with just the phone, I had persistant yellow spots on my phone that were not going away so I was able to get a replacement without a problem

Airboy98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Texas
I got mine replaced yesterday; the replacement was packaged with just the phone, I had persistant yellow spots on my phone that were not going away so I was able to get a replacement without a problem

Strange. Why do they require that you bring everything to the store that came with your phone then? Was it in some kind of packaged slip or some piece of plastic (not saying it was refurbished but the packaging a refurbished unit comes in)? Depending on how it's packaged, I might be better off just keeping my current one because a replacement might be more prone to scratches for being opened/

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
i got mine changed at the apple store. You do not need to take your box or anything because they do not have any of those stock. The only stock they have are units that they replace if faulty

Airboy98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Texas
Still wondering if I can bring everything in the box to the Apple store and get a replacement with the iPhone in the box, complete with the plastic seal around the box. Anybody done this yet?

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Still wondering if I can bring everything in the box to the Apple store and get a replacement with the iPhone in the box, complete with the plastic seal around the box. Anybody done this yet?

If I replace mine eventually, this is what I would want to do, as I know it's a new phone, not a refurb, and they may have adjusted the hardware design a little bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.