iPhone 4 "Replacement" unit... refurbs or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skaterbasist, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Skaterbasist macrumors member

To make a long story short, I got my iPhone 4 on launch day via Fedex. I had a few issues, and went to the Apple Store a few days ago on the 23rd. I was hoping to get it replaced with a brand new sealed iPhone 4 Box, but the "Genius" insisted that the one he was giving me was brand new- that refurbished units aren't available.

He took out a 'replacement' unit out of a black box- it seems brand new.

Now my question is, is there a way to verify if it was previously owned (refurb)? I would get a little pissed off, being that I was still within the 30-day return policy, if Apple decided to replace mine with a refurb. I surely did not pay for a refurb.

In the other hand, I did not bother arguing with the rep because my iPhone 4 had a tiny chip on the top right corner of the back glass, although I don't really think he noticed.

Any feedback is high appreciated :)

P.S. The replacement iPhone has iOS 4.0 if that matters.

2. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

check your serial on it. Its probably a "K" alpha at the beginning. Usually means a refurbs.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

As far as anyone knows they're all still brand new. All replacements come from black boxes. Even on the day of release.

4. iRen macrumors newbie

You were given a service iPhone and they are brand new only shipped to apple stores without accessories. Genius replaced my wives with same thing a day after launch due to an battery problem she had. Apple has too keep quiet about these cause I'm sure someone would complain and want to buy one of these if they really wanted one bad, and none were in stock at that moment.

5. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

How much did they make you "pay"?

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I got mine replaced because of a weak vibrate. The one apple gave me still had the screen protectors on. It feels new.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Not to rattle the cage or anything, but If you indeed pre-order it and had it delivered on the 24th, you were no longer within your 30 days. See, according to apple, your return period begins the day the phone is shipped. most preorder phones I know of were shipped on 6-20 or 6-21. Therefore your 30 days was up around 7/19-7/20.

http://storeimages.apple.com/1725/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#iphonereturns

iPhone Return Policy
    If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 to request a return. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation

8. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

Definitely new. I got a replacement last week, and the Apple Genius assured me they were brand new units.

9. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

10. disturbed1 macrumors newbie

Serial Number

Since I received a replacement phone, the serial number and such on the original box do not match the replacement phone correct?

11. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Oh it must kill to know someone might have touched what is now your phone. Sheesh.

12. Skaterbasist thread starter macrumors member

You are misinterpreting my statement. Since my phone was still within its return policy at that time, IF the phone were truly a refurbished unit, I would have demanded a partial refund (or a brand new phone) since refurbished units are always sold at a lower price than brand new retail iphones.

I thoroughly read Apple's return policy regarding the iPhone 4 on their website and release statements; return policy takes effect from the time the iPhone 4 was delivered, not shipped.
    If you like paying for refurbs or used items at original O.E.M pricing, then you surely aren't a smart buyer. ;)

--

To everyone else, thank you for your responses. I now feel pretty confident now that my phone was brand new. :)

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

can you show me where it states that? I see 30 days from shipment and a phrase that says 30 days from purchase. Both would be the same day since they dont charge your card until they ship the item.

I am curious to see the wording that states 30 days from delivery of the item.
    pLease point it out to me.

14. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

New

They're all new.

Except for the fact that I, ME, personally touched every one of them.

With my tongue.

I personally apologize.

15. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Oh, my god. I totally just snorted. Thanks for that! :)

16. DanBUK macrumors regular

Been having awful dropped call issue so also sent back my phone.
    Lots of dropped call issues.

Replacement iPhone 4 arrived today too. Will be interesting to see if my call problems are behind me.

2 points of interest from new phone:

• The serial number is week 29 which means it was made 19th-25th July (last week). I didn't check the serial number of my last one but got when first released. This one has been manufactured since the signal problem was acknowledged
    • Sim tray appears to have insultated insert- I don't recall seeing this on my first one.

I will do some testing and report back. Anyone know if the insulation was always in the sim tray?

(I posted this on a different thread earlier but it is more relevant here.)

17. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Actually, you DID pay for a refurb. Since the contract you signed specifies that Apple can give you a refurb in this situation, and you approved the contract, you agreed to have a refurb in this situation

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Actually I think we are a week off when we line up our serial numbers to the dates.

you said your iphone was week 29 which would have been last week.
    I was of the same thinking until I bought a 16gb on saturday the 24th.
    the serial week was 30 which would have ment it was not made until this week 7/26-7/30. Since it would have been impossible for me to get a phone that was not made yet, we must be a week off with our counting.

19. thph27 macrumors newbie

If it came from a black box it is a new ip4. My wife had an issue with her home button and it was replaced with a new ip4.

20. macman20 macrumors member

Usually service phone are used phone but for iphone 4 it new cause it just came out. If you still not convince, call apple CSR and explain your situation and they will do advance replacement. Good luck:apple:

21. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Trust me, I have exchanged iPhones a bunch of times. You will never know the difference. They always use new glass/housings.

22. Skaterbasist thread starter macrumors member

I can't seem to locate where it was posted on Apple's website. But the Apple rep. confirmed that my phone was still within the return policy. I ordered mine during the preorder period (first day), received it on the 24th, and was at the Apple store on the 23rd on this month.
    No, I didn't pay for a refurb. I payed for a new one. Your statement would be valid if it were past the return policy at the time. Besides, according to the serial number, it was manufactured mid-July. So I am pretty confident it is a new phone.

The only thing different I notice from my replacement unit is that the headphone jack is a little harder to insert/remove the headphones from. But maybe my head is just trying to find reasons to have any doubt.

I'll just let it rest. Thanks fellas! :)

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just got my iPhone replaced last weekend. The Genius took it out of a black box. There's a thread somewhere on the forums that breaks down the serial number. As for as I can tell, my new replacement iPhone was manufactured in week 28 of 2010. There's no way that could be a refurbished unit. Also, they will never give you a retail box unless you bought it like the day before. I got a free iPod touch last summer as part of the summer promo and I exchanged it the very next day due to light leakage on the side. The Genius took my retail box and all the accessories (I didn't open the cable or earbuds yet) and gave me a brand new sealed retail boxed iPod touch.

24. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Just look at the first two numbers of your serial number, if it has a "K" in it then it's a refurb.

25. xraytech macrumors 68020

Apple Store carries two stocks of iPhones; Retail and Replacement. Both are factory new.