iPhone 4 replacement unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3soteric, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1, jailbroken and unlocked to use a different carrier. Now the phone works ok, but the LED backlight has stopped working (not water damaged so I'm not sure what has caused this).

I have spoken with the Apple store and they said if I bob down they will give me a replacment free of charge etc, which is really good, and more than I was expecting tbh.

But! the question is, (as I assume the replacement will be on 4.2.1 firmware), do the refurb phones from the Apple stores come SIM unlocked? as if its on 4.2.1 I'm not going to be able to use my SIM with it....

I would presume that they do, as they probably just have a drawer full of them, purely for replacements but I just wanted to check!

cheers

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

If you're in the U.S., you will not get an unlocked phone. Replacement phone is for AT&T only. (That's why it helps to put your general "Location" in your profile.)

3. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Sorry Olga, my bad

I'm based in the UK. The iPhone was originally locked to t-mobile, but my SIM is now with O2.

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Probably will be unlocked. Ask the genius on the day.

5. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thanks Lucifiel - I intended to ask on the day, but was hoping to gather from others experiences, as if it isn't unlocked I dont want to waste 3 hours driving there and back when I can only swap for a phone I can't use...

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

In a country where there are multiple carriers, it would be pretty silly of apple to lock their phones, that's not to say that they might not, so ask.

But in Australia, i got mine from the genius bar unlocked, so ymmv.

7. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thats good to know - on another forum I frequent, people have stated that they are unlocked when they come from the Apple store as a replacement, so I am very hopeful that this will be the case

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

it's not always unlocked even if you get it from apple, you may have gotten lucky. keep us posted

9. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

How would they know which network the phone was originally bought on though? would they really check this before issuing a new one - especially when there are so many carriers in the uk? i.e. T-mobile, O2, Orange, Vodaphone, Tesco etc....who all offer the iPhone. would they have a stock of each branded phone in the Apple store, when they only sell the unlocked ones there?

10. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

well that's kinda my point? so, just make sure youa sk, but the chances are i think good in your favour.

11. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

They check the Serial#. Replacement unit will be 100% locked, just as the original unit was.

12. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Ok, just my luck! In that case, does anyone know if t-mobile unlock the iPhone, and if so how long/much does it take/cost?

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

How'd you get it unlocked in the first place?

14. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Via jailbreak

But if I get a replacement at an apple store, it will be on 4.2 and therefore not unlockable at the moment, leaving me without a phone at all until an unlock becomes available for whatever baseband the phone is on. However at the same time I can't really use the phone without the backlight....

15. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

If you hurry up and get a replacement, it may still be on 4.1

My GF's sister just got her iPhone 4 replaced and surprisingly it was still running 4.1...

Good Luck to you...

16. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

1) As someone above said, the phone will definitely be locked to your original network. Apple will have a stock of unlocked replacement iPhones but will proceed to locking it before they actually give it to you. It’s a standard, one minute, procedure.

2) A untethered jailbreak + unlock may take a while to be released; the devs haven’t even made an explicit reference to an ETA so that’s no good. If I were you, I would just hold out because you will most likely get a 4.2 iPhone

17. SnowDX macrumors 6502

According to this page http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937 T-Mobile offers authorized unlocking in the UK. Call them to find out the procedure/cost.

18. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thanks SnowDx I will give them a call and see how I can go about it.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will not give you a factory unlocked iphone for your Tmobile locked phone.
    When they do the swap they put in your serial number in the system and the same properties pass on to the replacement refurb iphone.
    And most likelly it will come with 4.1 or higher so you wont be able to software unlock it.

4.1 baseband CANNOT be unlocked for the iphone 4.

20. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Well I have called t-Mobile twice and been given different advice.

Call 1 - Its not possible for us to unlock the phone at all, even though it says we can on the Apple site. Sorry.

Call 2 - We can do it for £15.00 but only once you have had the phone six months, and provided you are still on the same contract.

The issue with Call 2 is, the iPhone contract has been fully paid off - (I bought myself out of it and moved to O2 after having nothing but problems with T-mobile billing me six times per month for the same account.) - meaning that they are refusing to unlock it. So Now I have an iPhone 4 that has a failed LED, that I cant replace as I will have no way of unlocking it.

Is there any chance of me mentioning this to the Apple store and seeing if they can just unlock it if I go for the sympathy vote?

Failing that the only option I see is restore the phone, exchange it at the Apple store, then sell it and buy an unlocked one or something...which is just far too much flaming hassle

21. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

You may be able to get lucky, I got a phone with 4.1 loaded on it as a replacement on the 26th (I'm in the US). Also, you could try to explain your case to the Genius, but ymmv with that.

22. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

It wil be unlocked if they don't activate it before you leave but that relies on them having computer issues.

23. SL4VE macrumors 6502

the iPhone will be on 4.1 trust me, there replacement units are still a few weeks old

24. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

so if they activated it with my o2 sim in it would be open to o2?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lucky to get 4.1?
    4.1 CANNNOT be unlocked, he would need 4.0.2 or lower to unlock it with ultrasnow.