iPhone 4 required

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by smitty8202, Feb 21, 2011.

1. smitty8202 macrumors member

smitty8202

I have been wanting to learn objective c/cocoa and was wondering do I need to have an iPhone 4 in order to test apps?

2. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

No. The Xcode tools include a simulator which runs on your Mac and allows you to test your iPhone apps without a real device. There are some limits to what a simulator can do, of course, but it works well for most testing.

3. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

ok cool i am just in the learning phase, since i have absolutely no programming experience at all.

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

If u'd care about making good apps. Then i'd recommand buy a cheap 3GS for testing from craigslist. Or an ipod touch or something.
    So u can at least test on a real device.
    If u read through the books of learning objective C/iPhone they will explain u why.
    Because the simulator uses the RAM of ur laptop. ntot he actual ram, so it's not good to test. only for quick tests :)
    Well, good luck anyways ;)

5. xStep macrumors 68000

To test on a device you need to buy a $99 developer subscription. There are apparently ways around it if you crack your device.

6. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

thats a good idea. Now that a 3gs is 50 bucks through att i migh do that. Thanks. is there a good book out there to learn. I have Sams teach yourself iphone programming in 24 hours. So far its a good book, color pictures so your not guessing on what color the text is supposed to be but i have ran into a few problems with what the book tells me to do and what is actually happening on the computer. Any sugesstions

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure a more detailed description of the issue is needed.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Particularly for anything beyond what is already in the FAQ stickied to the top of the forum http://guides.macrumors.com/Cocoa_FAQ which recommends Hillegass and Kochan.

B