iPhone 4 requires Mac OS X v 10.5.8 or later

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilhub, Jun 25, 2010.

1. wilhub macrumors member

The iPhone 4 requires Mac OS X v 10.5.8 or later. If you are running Tiger or a later Mac OS you will not even be able to activate your iPhone 4. I had to get one of my windows friends to help me activate my iPhone 4.

The strange thing is I am running itunes 9.2 on my Mac OS 10.4.11 Power PC Mac Mini. I could understand if I couldn't sync every thing or not download hd video, but I was surprised I couldn't even activate my iPhone 4. I woke up at 3 am when I was on vacation to pre-order my iPhone 4.

Apple supports Windows XP and not one of their older operating systems. XP is three operating systems ago and Mac OS 10.4.11 is 3 operating systems ago.

Power PC users can't upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29. I can upgrade to Leopard for $129. You have to call Apple to get it. It is not listed on the Apple website. If Apple marked Leopard down to $29 I would buy it.

I am hoping Apple change their mind and support Mac OS 10.4.11 or lower Leopard's price. We all know upgrading your operating system can be a scary thing. You set there praying it won't crash.

$129 is too much. I would rather put the $129 towards a new computer. I am just not ready to upgrade because my Mac Mini still does everything I need it to do except sync to the iPhone 4.

I can't sync my music, calender, or contacts. I can sync to iPhoto. I am going to check if the ATT store can transfer my contacts from my old iPhone to my new iPhone 4.

Can the 3gs running the new iPhone OS sync to Mac OS 10.4.11? I have thought about selling my iPhone 4 32gb on ebay to see what I could get for it.

If you are running Mac OS 10.4.11 please contact Apple and tell them what you think.

Apple computers out live most computers. I don't know what the average life span for a Mac is, but I have noticed they live twice as long as other computers. They hold their value extremely well. I am surprises that Apple is not supporting Mac OS 10.4.11.

Even Apple employees were surprised. I called iPhone support and the Apple store about Mac OS 10.5 and both didn't know Apple was not going to support the Mac OS 10.4.11.

Please email Apple.

thanks

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

2. plusonechoi macrumors member

I too am running OS X 10.4.11, so happy i opted to activate in store and not at home! phew! im lucky my brother just told me he has the leopard CD that i can use. good luck