iPhone 4 requiring more storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Espo, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

Because the iPhone 4 will record video in 720p, does that mean the videos will take up more space than usual? Right now I have an 8gb iPhone 3G with 1.5 gb free, but Im unsure if I should get the 16 or 32gb because of the video recording and possible other needs for extra storage.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes the files will be larger. it might be worth the extra 100 for you to get the 32 gb. resale value wont really diminish so you can get most of that 100 back when you sell the phone. iphone 5 might be 32/64 which will also help your resale value since 16 might be discontinued. good luck.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Photo and video file sizes will be larger (5MP stills, HD video).

Given the screen's got four times the pixels, apps which take advantage will also take up more space if they use bitmap graphics.

So in summary, I wish they had gone for a 64Gb version too. :(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All in all, I think the iPhone will require more storage, but the question is, whether 16gb is sufficient even with the larger photos and movies. Personally, I think it will, and of course the 32gb more so.

5. angevil macrumors regular

I have 16GB in 3G and I need more even before upgrading to iPhone 4. With the 720p videos and bigger pics - definitely!

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hard to say. It depends on how compressed the video is. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but all 720p video is not created equally. Compare 720p video from a point and shoot to, say, a Canon HF20.

But also keep in mind that DVD quality video is about 1GB per hour.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

While this is true, I am sure that the iPhone will continue to record video in H.264 with much lower bitrates than DVD.

8. substeel macrumors member

Get the 32

I always get the largest capacity phone if for nothing else it has a slightly better resale value a year later.