iPhone 4 Retina Display "interlacing" lines?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Dec 16, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I got my iPhone 4 replaced on Friday due to a dodgy home button.

The replacement was perfect, until I noticed that when you change the focus of your eyes to another area of the screen, these very fine "scan lines" or what is better described as interlacing lines appear.

They're more noticeable on darker areas, but they're annoying when you do notice them. My launch iPhone 4 that was replaced didn't have this, although it did always have a screen protector applied.

Anyone else notice these lines? Or am I going to have to try and show this to a Genius and risk looking like an OCD patient?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's not just on the iPhone 4 either, it was very noticeable on my original 3GS, as well as kind of noticeable on my second replacement (which I am currently using). I can also see it on my 4th gen iPod touch's screen.

3. aleni macrumors 68020

i got the early batch of my phone, the screen is nice. my friend and wife just recently bought it and both of the
    have that scanlines, i can see it clearly in grey area like safari's toolbar at the
    bottom. and they have yellowish screen while mine is clear white.

one thing i notice is the green blob on their camera is not as visible as my photos captured in fluorescent lighting.

4. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, I notice it most on the top half of the where the time is on the slide to unlock screen, as well as the menubar of Safari, and the duller grey overlay on the screen when using multitasking.

The odd thing is that it comes and goes. I can sit and look for it and not see it, but be sitting using my phone and with a change of focus, there they are.

I really don't fancy trying to demo/explain this one to a Genius.

"Wait ... Wait! There! Did you see it!? Did you!? What do you mean NO! It's right theeeeeeeere"!!!

5. aleni macrumors 68020

it's still easy for me to notice because i got my clear white screen and next to me i can see easily the lines on my wife's phone. it's easier when there's a comparison of 2 iphones. but i asked my wife about it and she didn't notice those lines at all, and i haven't let her see my phone first. maybe u'll get used to it and will not notice it anymore.

6. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

My wifes iPhone 4 has these "lines", but my launch day unit does not. We just got hers last week. She cant see it, but i can and it drives me nuts. I cannot use her phone.

7. QuarterSwede, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That sounds like the scene in The Incredibles where Dash is in the principals office being accused of putting a tack on the teachers chair (YouTube).

8. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

There's been a post previous about two recently bought iPhone 4's having these lines too ... I wonder if it's from a newer batch or newer LCD being used.

I phoned the Apple store here in Glasgow yesterday and was told to bring it in, but I cannot see a visit to the Genius Bar for this being anything other than embarrassing. I laugh at some of the borderline OCD cases on here, I have no desire to become one myself!

9. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Funny that. Was trying to find them on my phone and couldn't really see anything.

10. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

I didn't see it in mine either but probably my eyes are not as sharp.

11. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Popped into the Apple Store this morning to query this "issue", and the Genius was beyond helpful ... amazing customer service, without even having to mention the word replacement.

If you are friendly, courteous, polite, and generally well spoken and pleasant in your nature you get places. People who go in ranting and demanding the odds get nowhere 99 times out of 100.

12. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

13. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You imply it here, but don't outright state what happened there...I gather you got a replacement and that the replacement is free of the scan-line effect?

-- Nathan

14. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Sorry, I was out and about and ended up posting a half finished message.

I explained that I'd called and been advised to come in, and explained the issue. I said that I know no two displays are the same and if he said my screen was fine, I'd accept that and leave.

He took my phone off me and looked at the display, and he immediately said he could see them.

He then brought out his own iPhone 4 for comparison and he instantly said, "I'm not even replacing this phone for the lines, I'm replacing it for the yellow display ... look at the difference".

He then showed our phones side by side to me and it was shocking how bad the yellowing was. He then proceeded to open not one but THREE iPhone 4 "black box" units and boot them to the home screen to compare to his phone.

He said he was using the white of the Calander app as comparison and he said he wasn't letting me leave without a proper display. He took it all very seriously, amazing customer service and dedication.

My new iPhone 4 has a lovely white display (and it's home button is perfect too).

I am one VERY happy customer.

15. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Now that is customers service :eek:

16. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Boy, I'll say! There have been other anecdotes on these forums specifically about trying to get a Genius to replace a yellow display and getting the third degree from them. (Although, when I had display problems on my 3GS, I found the AppleCare support team to be equally accommodating, so I can't speak to Apple Store anecdotes myself.) That this particular Genius went out of his way to notice a problem that was not noticed or brought to his attention by the customer -- especially one that, if the stories are to be believed, many Geniuses would give you a hard time about anyway -- and then went through as many phones as it took before he found an acceptable one (another thing you don't hear of happening all that often) is pretty incredible.

What Apple Store was it that this took place at, so that those of us who might be in the same area can reward them with more business? :)

-- Nathan

17. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

This took place at the Apple Store on Buchanan Street in Glasgow, Scotland.

I'm still in shock at just how good that particular Genius was, especially considering the shop hadn't opened for business that day and people can be a little tired/moody in work first thing in the morning (opening time is 9:30am, but Genius Bar appointments can be booked from 9am onwards ... mine was for 9am).

I've told friends about the service, and even they have been taken aback. By comparison, my sister had no end of hassle with Sony trying to get her boyfriends' PlayStation 3 in for repair a second time with an A/V output issue after it was initially returned for a BD drive error. They refused point blank to repair it again as it had gone through their "rigorous testing before being sent back". Now, compare that attitude and customer service to what I received from Apple ... it's night and day, and when Steve stood on that stage and said, "We care about our customers", he wasn't lying.

The Genius was insistent on finding me a display which matched his "perfect white" display, and although he could see the interlacing lines I mentioned, it wasn't his main concern. He was not happy with the yellow display, he said it wasn't right and was probably a faulty display.

As I said, I went in and calmly said "I know no two displays are the same, but I was advised when I called to pop in and have it looked at because it could be a loose connection. If you tell me it's fine or within range for the display, I'll leave happy with that explanation, but I just thought I'd have it looked at".

He looked at my phone, asked where I was noticing the interlacing most, and he immediately said he noticed them in the darker sections of the gradient beside the clock on the lock screen. However, it was when he loaded up MacRumors on his iPhone (which was the page I was at on Safari at the time he done the comparison), he said the yellowing on my display was really bad and needed replaced. He also used the white portion of the Calendar icon to show just how much difference there was between his white display and my yellow one.

With each black box unit he opened and booted up, he held it up side by side with his phone right in front of his face and looked at them closely to see how much the black box unit matched his own iPhone 4. And, as mentioned, he opened not one but three until he got one that matched as close as possible.

Again, I am one very, very happy Apple customer right now. They never fail to make my custom feel genuinely valued and they put many other large corporations to shame with their customer service and level of dedication within their staff.

18. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My iPod Touch is a bit too blueish to my liking. I just hope it'd be as yellowish as my wife's iPhone which is not as yellowish as ours Sharp Aquos TV.

19. Merkie macrumors 68020

I think it's weird people complain about yellowish/blueish screens. I've seen both, but they're both acceptable I think.

Another problem with displays in general is that the color uniformity can be way off. The right side of the screen can be a bit yellowish and the left side can be more blueish. This kind of behaviour can be seen on almost (sometimes barely noticable, but sometimes also clearly noticable) every iPhone, but my main concern for buying for buying an iPhone is that the whites are the same everywhere on the display. This is too often not the case. Therefore I'm always scared to send in my iPhone if there's something wrong with it.

Perhaps I'm picky but it's something I notice pretty much right out of the box.

20. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

WeegieMac, I just sent my phone to the telco due to the Home button issue and I was told that a new phone will be shipped to me in 5 business days. But I am concerned if it is really brand new or if it is a refurbished one. You said that the Genius took out phones from the black box. Are they refurbished ones? Do you know how we can tell if it is refurb? I vaguely reading something about a different serial number.

21. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

If they send you another phone, it will be a refurb...

For the OP, that is great that they took care of you that well. They should do this as well. A $600 device should be perfect...I would expect it to be.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It'll be a refurb, but I don't get what people have against them. They're perfect phones in as new condition, and work perfectly. What's the difference between that and a new one?

23. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

People love virgins, that's why :D