iphone 4 running sluggish, reset?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lowonthe456, Aug 26, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

I am running the current iOS on my iPhone 4. Games are jitterey and iPod app is slow in redraws....

How eactly does one do a reset to make it feel fresh again? I have read about it, just want clairification before I try.

:apple:

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

You can either press and hold the home button and the lock screen button at the same time until the phone turns off and then after a few seconds you will see the apple logo again.

Or a restore...

Connect iPhone to iTunes your phone should pop up in the left hand side, click on your iPhone and hit restore.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I try reboot first. Hold power and home button at same time, wait for Apple logo then let go.

If that doesn't work I restore as NEW.

4. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

I reboot often, seems to help a little but still more sluggish then when all was new. Before I do a restore, I'm guessing I need to do a complete back first?

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yes but Apple support has always suggested to me to restore as NEW not from backup.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Off-topic here, but I've always wondered. When people restore as new, don't they lose all their contact info/SMS/settings/etc? Do people really go through the hassle of manually backing up all this stuff and then transferring over, or do they just let it go? Or is there some kind of alternative backup to iTunes? Because I've been in the situation where I had problems that wouldn't go away after a restore, and it was because my backup had carried over the issues after being put back on the phone, so I understand the need to set up as new sometimes.

7. vitog123 macrumors 6502

planned by apple.. time released sabotaging of your ip4 so that you want the ip5 :D

8. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I restored my iPhone earlier to remove jailbreak from it. I restored as new and pee'd myself when it all loaded up and my phone was totally BLANK. No numbers no photos no nothing.

Luckily i just restored to the user before the new one and everything was back :D Huzzah!

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I always do a restore as new.

All my stuff is backed up and resident on my MacBook Pro, via MobileMe, and my NAS equipped home network.

Once restored, it all goes back to the iPhone in mere seconds.

I do this regularly as a matter of routine maintenance since I do so much with my iPhone for both work and personal.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Cause you didn't back up. I use Microsoft exchange for my contacts. I use a wireless app to transfer photo's from iPhone to computer and from computer to iPhone. I make sure to add apps in iTunes. Then I restore as NEW, then I add Microsoft exchange and it syncs contacts by air. Then I add app to my iPhone. Then I use wireless app to transfer photo's from my Mac to iPhone.

Eezy peezy.