iPhone iPhone 4(S?) without SIM Card (or lock button)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CaptainDoorknob, Feb 9, 2017.

1. CaptainDoorknob macrumors newbie

CaptainDoorknob

So, I have an iPhone 4(S maybe) that I'd like to use as an iPod. It doesn't have a SIM card, and the lockscreen button doesn't work (Therefore cannot put into DFU mode using lock and home buttons). It is a freshly restored iPhone and won't work without a SIM card. I'm not sure what iOS it is, either 7.x or 9.x. It should be the most updated version, as it automatically updated when I plugged it into my computer. I have tried the Emergency Call method of getting into the phone without a SIM card, but alas, no lock button. I want to get into the phone, and I have no reservations about jailbreaking or anything that *might* damage the phone. I'll take any help/advice that you guys can give me.

*EDIT*
    I have jailbroken iPhones before so I'm familiar with the process.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Then you understand that in order to jailbreak you need to 'get into the phone'.

Which, if you can do that, means you no longer have a need to jailbreak to 'get into the phone'.

Not trying to be intentionally snarky, but every jailbreak I have ever been on since iOS 5 has required access to the springboard in order to start the process. You can't execute a jailbreak on a locked phone in order to unlock the phone.

As to the SIM, I don't believe it matters which SIM you use for activation (assuming an unlocked phone). If it's locked to a carrier you might try a SIM from that carrier.

3. CaptainDoorknob thread starter macrumors newbie

CaptainDoorknob

Alright, thanks mate, didn't think there was much hope for it.