iPhone 4 safe to update and jailbreak later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMoo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 that is factory unlocked as i bought it sim-free. It's currently on 4.3.3

I have backed up my SHSH blobs using Tiny Umberella and also Cydia is displaying them.

I am getting itchy fingers :eek: with the iOS 5 after watching the presentation, so wondered, because mine is factory unlocked, if i were to update my iPhone to iOS 5 (obviously would get rid of any jailbroken stuff and tweaks) would i be alright once an untethered jailbreak comes out, or do i still need to wait??

Please don't flame me :mad: as i have tried finding the info myself, but along with fake sites, most is geared towards people preserving basebands and im guessing this is for people using different sim-cards to what the phone is locked to!?

So would i be ok to have a go with iOS 5 and be fine to jailbreak later
    OR
    If i update now, there may be a process i miss out on that will be no longer available to me by updating the firmware/baseband.

Thanks in advance and hope someone with better knowledge can shed light on this and can see if i can update tonight and have a play with new features, thanks and peace :D

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah your fine. Your factory unlocked so you don't need to preserve the baseband. You have your blobs saved. You can always downgrade if anything.

and iOS5 can be tethered jail broken on your iPhone 4. Check out clarified.

3. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Ahh thanks for looking down the posts and replying to me, i try not to leave posts as try to find out info myself as didn't wana be flamed if info alredy out there. But being factory unlocked wasn't sure if the baseband affected me or not.
    Only really tweaks (mainly SbSettings) and satnav that i will miss (that i can think of) as all my gaming moved over to the iPad so will keep that on 4.3.3

Am guessing i have to turn off automatic software updates and then am safe once on the other side?