iPhone 4, same wifi problems as iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 8, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

As I type this on my 32 gig wifi iPad that I will be meeting with a genius with tomorrow over wifi issues, I can't help but think the iPhone 4 is using the same wifi module. Why do I think this? During Steves keynote yesterday he could not connect. Why? He said because there were 570 wifi hotspots in the building. Now I understand that be hard on devices, but no one else seemed to be having problems. Otherwise if they were having problems, there would be so many laptops etc in use with these wifi devices. What if this becomes a real problem? I mean face time lagged and Steve was quick to blame ppl not turning off their wifi devices, but I'm not sure.

2. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I agree. WiFi probs with me iPad as well! And you're right about Steve, though logical, that could've been a total cop-out/diversion/spin. iPhones and iPads have notoriously riddled wifi stability (not for everyone, i know). Only time will tell. They don't really have much time to iron those issues before the release, so here's hoping for the best.... [fingers crossed] :)

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, the iPhone 4 we already know is different. They're doing something with it that they likely should have done with the iPad and even the first-gen iPhone: used an exterior-exposed piece of metal as the antenna. That's what the stainless steel sides are there for.

This is not the case on the iPad, where the WiFi antenna is hidden behind the Apple logo on the back. Instead of using the metal exterior as an antenna, it instead is a mini Faraday cage, blocking WiFi signals with the exception of that :apple:-shaped cutout that's covered in black plastic.

What surprised me about the demo is that I would've expected Apple to set up a separate, on-stage-only WiFi network that would've been used for demo devices. Looks like they didn't do this..

As if they did absolutely no field testing at all... :rolleyes: If they hadn't been testing the new design beforehand, Gizmodo wouldn't have ever gotten their mits on one. I'm pretty sure at some point, someone at Apple gave the WiFi a spin to make sure it works okay.

4. cmalinowski macrumors newbie

Me too. Why would you let something so simple go? I just happened to watch two different news programs last night. Both had the story and the story wasn't the introduction of the iPhone4, but the problems Jobs had.

Maybe it's the "any press is good press" theory. If it all worked, only a couple million goobs like us would care. If it makes the nightly news (and the iPhone4 isn't "newsworthy" great to me), it's press and some people watching would be like "Apple released a new iPhone today?"

Chris

5. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Agreed. Was this never an issue with prior keynotes? They've demoed wifi on devices before. It's not like they don't know what's going to be in the room.

6. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yes, of course, but i meant now that they've had the issue at the keynote. I know they do extensive testing, but whatever the problem was that caused them to ask everyone in the room to shutdown they're devices they obviously didn't see coming (or thought it had been fixed prior). They only have two weeks to look into and fix that. And seeing as how the GM of OS 4 is out now, not much is going to change (if anything) before the phone launch.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

There's a bear in the woodshed regarding that in conference breakdown ... Just doesn't add up.

You've got a collection of the top geeks in the world there and they can't manage a simple presentation all of a sudden???

8. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

What about all the Wi-Fi build up in the event, second didnt Jobs say it was a connection problem and not the iPhone 4 itself,

i am gonna check the video and see for myself

9. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but why would it have connection problems when everyone elses devices were working fine. Then later when everyone had shut down, there is lag in face time that he again blames on wifi in the building. I think the iPhone 4 is going to have the same wifi problems that the ipad has.

10. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's the thing that worries me. It was kinda slow, but it worked. the iPhone 4 just didn't work.

12. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ughh! And being that face time requires this, wifi is important.

13. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Actually I'm worried more about data usage. I don't wanna have my iPhone going to 3G when I only have a 200MB plan. I predict myself using facetime about zero times lol....I mean, I'll probably know no one with an iPhone 4, let alone chat with any. I have a bunch of people I can iChat with and I've done it like twice lol.

14. FixingGosling macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a thread on these forums discussing this WIFI issue during the keynote... obviously Steve Jobs' blamed OTHER people and OTHER devices to cause the failure.... no surprise there... but I do agree that this device will have severe WIFI issues such as the ipad..... and that's bad news for people with small data plans and rely on heavy WIFI use on their portable device....

15. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

They claim with the iPad that it's a software issue but it's not. My first iPad had perfect wifi but had some pixels die. My second iPad kept dropping wifi signal. I am now on my third iPad and so far not ONE drop. It's not software. I don't buy that bs. I hope the iPhone 4 doesn't have this problem.

16. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I was honestly wondering the exact same thing as the OP after I watched the video. I mean, why did the 3GS work, albeit slow, and the 4 did not load a page at all. I have a iPad as well and can tell you the same as the above poster. My first iPad had serious wifi issues with dropped signal all the time. I replaced that one and the one I have now almost never drops the wifi signal. I find it very hard to believe that it is just a software issue. I mean, I know the design of the new iphone is nothing like the iPad, but you have got to wonder why Jobs could not get the thing to load a web page at all. :confused:

17. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Can I ask you guys that have got replacements iPads if you know if they are "new" or refurbished? I don't want to try for a refurb with a different flaw. If that's the case I'd rather wait for a software/firmware update.

18. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

The ipad to me mocks a bit of the macbook pro minus the keyboard and the apple logo does not light up.

19. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assume they are still new at this point however both of my replacements came in a brown box.

20. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yeah, I mean, word is they're new and that they've just taken out the charger/cable. HOWEVER, think about it...there have been a lot of people returning them since Day 1. To me 2+ months seems like enough time to refurbish iPads. Any one have add'l inside info?

21. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iPad has that new smell, not a refub smell. :) proof? I think so.

22. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

:D Sounds good. Thx

23. phrint macrumors 6502

Some of the blogs are stating that the iPhone 4 was running on 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz spectrum which caused interference problems with the other 500+ connections on 802.11g. I highly doubt the new iPhone will have the wi-fi issues unless you are running on 802.11n. Would have been a much better experience on the 5 GHz spectrum as the 2.4 will be worthless. Apple half-assed it on this one.

24. eoren1 macrumors 6502

This is my one concern with the iPhone 4...potential wifi issues.
    I was planning on upgrading my 3g iPhone and getting my wife one as well. Had planned to preorder but am now thinking of holding off to see what the early adopters find regarding wifi stability. I use wifi at home and work and would have a real problem if connections were iffy.
    I guess the alternative would be to exchange in-store as those of you with iPads have done.
    E

25. Built macrumors 68020

There might be a lot of reports of returns...but I can tell you that I was on a JFK-LAX flight the other day, equipped with Wifi, and there were AT LEAST 10 iPads in the coach section alone...and I believe most of them were connected to Wifi...