iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S II Both Have The Yellow Tint Issues!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jul 15, 2011.

1. flipster, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

flipster macrumors 6502a

Well, I stumbled upon an article when I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S II. Many, and I mean there's 150 pages on it, are reporting problems with their displays as well.

The iPhone 4 has gotten a lot of media attention over this, and now Samsung. The displays are coming out a washed out yellow tint, usually on the left side of the display or the whole phone.. I don't know if any other people have seen this report yet:

[​IMG]

It seems to be affecting a lot of phones for some reason. This isn't suppose to happen. It has definitely been occurring on my iPhone, with my third replacement still yellow tinted. It's extremely frustrating. My iPhone 4 has a yellow tint on the left side of the display too. Why is this happening on all these phones all the sudden?

Samsung Galaxy S II uses Super AMOLED displays, iPhone uses retina. Both are experiencing the same problems. It has definitely been happening to my iPhone, take a look:

iPhone Titled To The Left And Right Sides Show Different Color Hues(This is the same iPhone 4, pictures taken at different angles):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, there are numerous threads on the Galaxy S II owners reporting it as well. Take another look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134700

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1140902

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1128316.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1096774.html

It has come to my attention that there is a problem, and it's getting annoying. The QC of these companies rushing the phones out is unacceptable, when the screens look like dirty teabags. It's affecting both types, and I really want an answer for this. Can anybody explain why this is happening on both phones?

2. daaneel macrumors regular

Not sure when I read this or if its true but I heard that in a rush to get the phones out to the public the companies dont let the glue between the screen and the lcd completely dry and it leaves a yellow tint?

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Can't really say i have that issue. Also are you really gonna be viewing your phone from such extreme angles? Finally the screen calibration on the Verizon phone is just different (warmer) from the AT&T/iPT (cooler) and thus isn't necessarily a defect in that scenario.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I thought the Android AMOLED color change was a deliberate correction of the color temperature by Google, so that blacks looked blacker.

I know a lot of people complained about it. People hate change.

5. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not though. My friend's have that bright blue clear display on their VZW iPhones. The left side of my display is yellow, the right is blue. Those pictures were there to show the difference :p

A yellow tint across 1/3 of the display was most likely not intended.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My point was more that not every iPhone has the same colour calibration, not that all Verizon phones have a warm calibration. You can find both types of calibration in any device on any of the carriers.

7. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

So... Your telling me that if you walked into an apple store, saw that all the displays advertised were bright blue and thought "wow what a nice screen, I want a phone like that!". So you buy one, and open it up only to find out that the display is yellow... That's not right..I don't think apple uses different calibrations on every phone. It has to be due to rush manufacturing due to the fact that both phones are experiencing this problem.

8. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Your friend jailbroke his VZW iPhone, and changed his carrier name to AT&T? Lol... j/k... I think you mean't another friend's iPhone (not in the pictures)... but the Verizon iPhone does look yellowish though.

9. daneoni, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

There are two calibrations that Apple uses warm & cool, this is a fact that even Apple confirmed back when the iPhone 3G was announced. Which one you get is down to a lottery and the evidence is right in front of you. The Verizon phone is warmer than the AT&T.

But i can see you're not really listening and have made your mind made up so i'll stop typing now. Rushed manufacturing it is.

10. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

One of my previous replacements was brown/red. Is that another color profile? I didn't know Apple included those. Why is it that the left side of my screen is yellow, while the right is white? They purposely made it that way... Why are all the display units white then?

There's a difference between warm and yellow. That's yellow.

Even IF they did that, it wouldn't be fair. What if I wanted the blue tint but got the yellow one and vice versa. That doesn't make sense. And I must have missed the Apple release note stating that they did this