iPhone 4 scratches on front glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by war eagle, Mar 29, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I have three small scratches in my front glass. They are small but highly annoying. Is there anything I can do to remove them? The weird thing is that they just appeared one morning I woke up. Just irks me.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think there's anything you can do - if you try and remove them you'll probably end up making them look worse as you'll strip the oleophobic coating. I got a couple on mine too and don't know where they came from but you just have to learn to live with them, I'm afraid :(

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Not really much you can do. Once you learn that it's just a phone and a few scratches isn't going to do anything, then you'll be able to start to enjoy the device again. In the end, those few small scratches aren't going to affect the performance of the phone. Just learn to live with them.

4. Pink∆Floyd, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You're going to have to live with it and let it be a learning lesson on how to take care of your belongings

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yep, what ever you do, do NOT try to polish them out with scratch remover. Some may suggest you get a screen protector to cover up these scratches, the other option is to take it to your local Apple store and have them replace the screen. That will not be cheap.

Sorry:(

6. patp Guest

drop a screen protector on it and it may cover it up.

i keep my phone in my right pocket - no coins, keys in that pocket. ever.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Same here except I got scratches too. I made a thread earlier, somehow my phone got scratches even though I take very good care of it. It just happens...nothing you can do unless you get a SP. (get the power support crystal clear!)

8. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

I have to say...

Ok this is going to sound really weird...... one time I accidentally sprayed on quik detailer on my phone, it was my old iPhone3G and it made it shine so good I couldn't see the scratches on the screen anymore...

Since then I have been using a little bit of it to clean off any and held devices that shine! Wii controllers apple devices... etc

This is the stuff...

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G14422

Its seriously amazing stuff... not to mention its not bad on cars either...:D

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I would risk those car detailing sprays unless you know what you're doing... You never know if they have things like micro abrasives in them.

10. scowl macrumors member

Same here, minus the screen protector. I have the tiniest hairline scratch on it. It's near the speaker at the top so it's not a huge deal, but if it was on the actual retina display I'd be so f'n anal about it and get it replaced.

Been reading almost nothing but negative reviews about ZAGG IS's on here and I've yet to put mine on. I don't want to dilute the display any :\

11. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid the only thing you CAN do is take it to Apple and ask them how much it would cost to get the front glass replaced. But I'm not sure they would do that sort of a thing.

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Replacing a screen for a few scratches.. What a waste of money. You're going to have a new phone in a year or two.. You might as well put the phone through hell and use it for what it is. Why baby a phone like it's your life. It won't be around for more than 2 years. Unless your the type that never upgrades.

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You might have some on the screen, just gotta look for em. I have no idea how I got mine and its smack dab on the screen, but does not affect resolution when screen is on.

14. Sakic10 macrumors member

I actually woke up yesterday morning to a deep scratch at the top of my phone that came out of nowhere! I always keep my phone in my pocket alone and have no idea where it came from.

Im noticing some small ones as well. Damn sharp pocket lint! Luckily i have a screen protector installed but still i just put it on 3 weeks ago and its ruined already.

15. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I actually found a 1 inch scratch from the top of my home button to the middle of my screen which devastated me because I thought I was super careful. It was only noticeable in light, but once I saw it I couldn't get over it. It was annoying as hell. So I took it into the Apple store, and they were very generous and replaced it on the spot, despite it having been a month since I got the phone.

Unfortunately, this can happen regardless of how careful you are. Only way around it is to get a screen protector (I'm currently using the phonedevil ones, and you can barely tell there's one on).

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Same here except mine isnt that big. I too can notice it under light when I look for it. I cant feel it tho but I always have short fingernails. I threw on a PS anti glare but switching over to crystal soon.

Im not worried about my scratches hurting resell either. My phone has this weird issue where it shuts off sometimes (once every couple days) (happened at genius bar, but I denied a replacement bc I dont want a yellow
    tinted phone again.) haha so Ill just get a replacement before this hits eBay! :cool:

17. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

That is why I always put a screen protector on the first day. Phantom Skinz are the best kind I have found and I have tried almost every brand over the years.