iPhone 4 scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alexhasfun28, Sep 3, 2010.

1. alexhasfun28 macrumors regular

Hi, i just ordered an :apple: iPhone 4 yesterday. And was wondering, from those people who are iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big? How sensitive is it to get one? Do you think you can maybe throw in some pictures?

Thanks, Alex :)

2. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

As far as scratch resistance, the front glass is fairly tough. I used mine without a screen protector for a week or so and I didn't get a single scratch. As long as you don't throw in a pocket/purse that has your keys or sand, it should stand up.

The back is a different kind of glass and tends to scratch easier. I've used a case and a back shield and I have no scratches.

But yesterday I did drop my phone on the asphalt in the parking lot, and the front glass did chip by the home button. That was with a SGP screen protector too. For a 6 foot fall, it did pretty good.

3. alexhasfun28 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! i'm actually ordering that case/screen protector right now. How do you like it? Do you have the full shield?

4. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

I agree with ravensfan. The front glass is pretty tough and scratch resistant under normal usage. Mine's slid off my desk a couple of times with no visible damage to front glass.

The back glass seems to be less rugged. I've got a couple of microcracks in the back glass -- probably as a result of the aforementioned desk falls. It's annoying knowing they're there, but I don't think it effects the performance of the phone.

Also, one thing I've noticed is that the lens cover/camera housing on the back camera scratches very easily. On the iPhone 4, it's now flush with the back glass. On previous models it was recessed by 1-2 mm, which was enough to keep it from scratching.

A few microscratches aren't bad enough to visibly effect photo quality, but it's definitely something to be mindful of. Any iPhone 4 case that recesses the camera back should help eliminate more scratches. I couldn't wait 8 weeks for Apple's free case and bought the Griffin Reveal which recesses the lens about 2mm and has a silicone bumper to keep my 4 from sliding off my desk....